Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams



We transition from a pop icon to probably the biggest 'mood' act this side of a guy named Mayer. I've always had some sort of soft spot for Jack Johnson's laid back, island music. Not entirely sure why, but there are weeks or months at a time when I find his music to be so calming and fun - and exactly what I need to survive life in general. Okay, that's overboard - but you get the point. 'In Between Dreams' was his third studio release, and it came out in 2005. It's a very respectable 2x platinum in the states, which makes it his best selling effort of all time. It's certainly not my favorite by him, but I can understand why it is others'. The cover art is a depiction of a mango tree, which is in reference to a mango tree outside of Brushfire Records where the album was recorded. There is also a reference to the same mango tree in the widely popular track 'Better Together'. I'm probably going to go all homer here because of my soft spot, but I really enjoy this. There are a couple quite amazing tracks on this record - ones that I feel anyone can enjoy. I think the positive to music like Mr. Johnson is - it's music for anyone. Doesn't matter your color, background or taste, I think if you're in a relaxing mood, this music is perfect for you. And when I was in Hawaii a couple years ago, this would have been a great soundtrack to just sit by the ocean and relax (which sounds amazing right now). Good voice, good acoustic guitar - good times. Give it a whirl.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Better Together
2. Never Know
3. Banana Pancakes
4. Good People
5. No Other Way
6. Sitting, Waiting, Wishing
7. Staple It Together
8. Situations
9. Crying Shame
10. If I Could
11. Breakdown
12. Belle
13. Do You Remember
14. Constellations

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. No Other Way
2. Sitting, Waiting, Wishing
3. Good People

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment