Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"You Either Die A Hero Or Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain."

Hump day is a great day to unveil my latest project. In what seems like FOREVER ago, I unleashed my Top 100 songs of the 1990's. Well, I'm back. Back with another list. Except this time, the Top 100 songs of the 2000's!! A couple interesting side notes: this decade was quite slow with music. There was actually a pretty small group of artists making good music. This list was MUCH tougher to make than the 90's. My weighting scale was the same, as follows:

Weighting:
50% - How Much I Enjoy It
25% - Repeatability
10% - Made Artist Blow Up
10% - Cultural Influence
10% - Popularity
-5% - One Hit Wonders

No honorable mentions this time. Just the straight Top 100. And oh yeah, now I want to watch The Dark Knight again. As always, comment with your feedback! Enjoy!

100. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
99. N'SYNC - Bye Bye Bye
98. Brad Paisley - Alcohol
97. Arcade Fire - Wake Up
96. Nickelback - Photograph
95. Flo Rida - Low
94. Shakira - Hips Don't Lie
93. Faith Hill - Breathe
92. Pink - Please Don't Leave Me
91. MGMT - Kids
90. Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah
89. Britney Spears - Toxic
88. P.O.D - Youth Of A Nation
87. Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
86. Twista - Slow Jamz
85. Korn - Twisted Transistor
84. Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like It's Hot
83. Rihanna - Umbrella
82. Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
81. U2 - Beautiful Day
80. Radiohead - Idioteque
79. Missy Elliott - Gossip Folks
78. Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
77. The Fray - Hundred
76. Dixie Chicks - Landslide
75. Lady Gaga - Poker Face
74. Jimmy Eat World - Sweetness
73. Staind - Epiphany
72. Alter Bridge - Open Your Eyes
71. Lonely Island - Boombox
70. Kid Rock - Picture
69. Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous
68. 50 Cent - I Get Money
67. 3 Doors Down - Loser
66. System Of A Down - Toxicity
65. Postal Service - Such Great Heights
64. Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved
63. Fall Out Boy - Sugar, We're Goin Down
62. Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good
61. Puddle of Mudd - Drift And Die
60. Feist - 1,2,3,4
59. T.I. - What You Know
58. Hinder - Lips Of An Angel
57. James Morrison - You Give Me Something
56. Alicia Keys - Fallin'
55. Lil Jon - Get Low
54. Five For Fighting - The Riddle
53. Cage The Elephant - Ain't No Rest For The Wicked
52. Beyonce - Single Ladies
51. My Morning Jacket - I'm Amazed
50. Saliva - I Walk Alone
49. Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl?
48. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh)
47. Clipse - Grindin'
46. Jack Johnson - It's All Understood
45. Vines - Get Free
44. Aqualung - Strange & Beautiful
43. Rage Against The Machine - Renegades of Funk
42. Green Day - 21 Guns
41. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
40. Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah
39. Audioslave - Like A Stone
38. Modest Mouse - Float On
37. Kid Cudi - Pursuit of Happiness
36. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
35. Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River
34. Jay-Z - 99 Problems
33. Linkin Park - What I've Done
32. Black Keys - Just Got To Be
31. Brandi Carlisle - The Story
30. Seether - Broken
29. The Strokes - Last Nite
28. Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody
27. Beck - E Pro
26. Timbaland - Apologize
25. Nelly - Country Grammar
24. Christina Aguilera - Beautiful
23. MIA - Paper Planes
22. Foo Fighters - Best Of You
21. Incubus - Here In My Room
20. Young Jeezy - Put On
19. Outkast - Hey Ya
18. John Mayer - Comfortable
17. Ludacris - Roll Out (My Business)
16. My Chemical Romance - Helena
15. Coldplay - The Scientist
14. Usher - Yeah
13. Eels - Ordinary Man
12. Lil Wayne - Mr. Carter
11. Daft Punk - One More Time
10. Weezer - The Angel And The One
9. Ben Folds - The Luckiest
8. Eminem - Stan
7. Damien Rice - The Blowers Daughter
6. Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
5. White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
4. Evanescence - My Immortal
3. Johnny Cash - Hurt
2. Kanye West - Jesus Walks
1. The Killers - All These Things That I've Done

8 comments:

  1. Your Top 100 Songs of The '00s + Your Top 100 Songs of The '90s = Why We'll Never Be Concert Buddies

    Really it's just basic math.

    On a quick glance thru, my only comments thus far are:
    --58. Hinder - Lips Of An Angel -- Really? Wow.
    --"A couple interesting side notes: this decade was quite slow with music. There was actually a pretty small group of artists making good music." I would have to disagree. Slow to play good music on the radio? Yes. One definitely had to seek out the good music in the '00s, but it was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've sought out good music for the last decade. If I haven't already made it VERY clear, I hate the radio. I never listen to the radio. My guess is there are at least 20 songs on this list that never made radio.

    I think it's easy to think, "Oh, I could come up with 100 great bands from 2000-2009", but it's harder than it seems. Plus, from what little I really know about your music prowess, you seem to stick to one genre pretty faithfully. I get sick of listening to the same type of things over and over.

    That Hinder song is actually pretty good. I bought the cd for next to free, and I'm not a big fan of it. But I enjoy that one track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to making a grooveshark playlist of these, some I don't know if I have heard or not!

    But you forgot a few (in my opinion)!
    -Destiny's Child (You do have Beyonce, but then again you have JT and NSYNC)
    -Dave Matthews Band
    -Blink 182
    And a few more country artists would have made my list:
    -Taylor Swift
    -Tim McGraw
    -Kenny Chesney
    -Zac Brown Band

    I did love seeing Toxic and 99 Problems on there!! Great choices! I think I'd like to see them higher though!

    I have to agree with shaqwanda and say "Lips of an Angel"? REALLY?! And all of the R&B/Rap on the list makes me want to hit up my old college dance bar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Jen! As always, I know there will be things I missed. I really did have Destiny's Child on my almost made it list. I couldn't come up with a great DMB song from that time frame either. And I also had Blink down - follower Angie will be really disappointed in me for not putting them on.

    99 Problems was hard. I really love that song, but I felt the other rap tunes were slightly better. And I LOVED all the controversy Jesus Walks created.

    Can you share your Grooveshark link again? I know a LOT of people used that to listen to the tracks they didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Link to The B-Side's Top 100 of the '00's:

    http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/playlist/B+Side+00+s+Top+100/32859305

    Question 1: do you pick the top 100 artists first? and then a song?

    Question 2: Have you listened to DMB's Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King? If not, I'll add it to the suggestion box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!! You're the best!

    Answer 1: Probably a hybrid. I run through my music that I think is from that era. If it's songs, I'll jot those down. There were certain artist (like Jay-Z) that I just wrote their name down and then filled in a track later.

    Answer 2: I actually have not. I'd welcome that in the box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like you might have stretched a little and thrown people on the list just to make 100. I would rather see 50 AWESOME songs than Kelly Clarkson on any list.

    You could easily replace Blink 182 with anyone in your bottom 50.

    Thanks for the Gaga shout out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why it comes across that way. I don't really care for NSYNC or Clarkson etc. But part of the weighting does take in cultural influences and popularity. The only reason I do that is to try to remain slightly objective even thought I tend not to be.

    I just didn't identify with any Blink stuff post 2000. I listened to their album again, but nothing stuck out.

    Had to have Gaga. She's like gold nowadays.

    ReplyDelete