Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Passion Pit - Manners



Techno Tuesday is back after a slight hiatus. I do apologize to all the beat nuts out there. After all, what good is a weekly installation when it's not there? Useless. I'll answer my own question. Manners is also another review straight out of the Suggestion Box. Shaqwanda recommended I wrap my ears around this one and she asked I do so a really long time ago. Unfortunately, no one was linking samples, so it had to wait. I don't fully understand why they delay a potential buyer from hearing a sample, seems to be counterproductive. But - if I ran Amazon, they'd probably be defunct and I wouldn't be writing my own music blog, so there ya go. Anyhow, I thought I hadn't heard of these guys, until I realized I did have a couple tracks from their 'Chunk of Change' EP. They have a very different feel to them as well. They have that nice funky background beat, and then they mix a lot of crazy lyrics over them. Some tracks really synth out the lyrics which sounds pretty neat. As a whole album, it's pretty solid top to bottom. Even the tracks that aren't really techno or dance - the beat is still good and the vocals sound cool. I enjoy this. I enjoy it a lot more than I originally thought. The EP I have doesn't get a ton of play on my iPod, but this is pretty cool. It's one of those where I'm not sure I'd listen to many of the individual tracks on their own, but I'd listen to the whole album over and over. I HIGHLY recommend you checking this out. Even if you're not a beatnut like me, I think you'll enjoy this. Hopefully Shaqwanda is reading today and lets us know how she feels about it too. Happy Tuesday B Siders!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Make Light
2. Little Secrets
3. Moth's Wings
4. Reeling, The
5. Eyes as Candles
6. Swimming in the Flood
7. Folds in Your Hands
8. To Kingdom Come
10. Let Your Love Grow Tall
11. Seaweed Song

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Moth's Wings
2. Sleepyhead
3. Make Light

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. My Top 3:
    1 - Little Secrets
    2 - The Reeling
    3 - Track 12 - Sleepyhead Acoustic

    I'm not a big fan of the album version of Sleepyhead, but I really like the stripped down version. My copy of the CD has 3 acoustic songs at the end of it. You're missing out.

    I think Moth's wings is probably one of my least favorite tracks on the album. I tend to turn that one off midway thru.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing these guys open for Muse in October. I hear good things about their shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're nuts. Moth's Wings was awesome. Great blend of both lyric and beat. Something I really look for as my techno prowess changes with getting older.

    I have a different version of Sleepyhead too. not sure if it's the same as yours, but I like it better as well.

    Yeah, I'd think these guys put on a cool show.

    ReplyDelete