Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Best Coast - Crazy For You



New Music Tuesday!! Give it up one more time!! So, there is literally NOTHING exciting coming out this week. There are a couple remastered albums and then some bands I've never heard of. Best Coast would be one of those bands. It popped up and I thought - "Huh, that album cover is different - let's try that band." Very scientific I know. Regardless, these guys are a California based garage band. This is their first ever album, after dropping a couple of EP's to generate buzz in 2009. Sound wise...hmm, how would I describe them. A seemingly punk-ish lead singer lady, and then what seems to be a fairly unexperienced jam band behind her. It doesn't seem like the guitarist has any sort of range and the drummer's most complex rhythms are a snare and bass hit at the same time. This sounded to me like a group of friends got together and were jamming on some pretty high end recording equipment. Lyrically it's all about the same and even though the lead singer does have a fairly nice voice - she shows ZERO range. It's basically the same note and tone for all 13 tracks. Now, having said all of that - it's not the worst thing ever. Some of the tunes are pretty catchy and others make you just kind of sit back and drift away. Too early for me to tell if the drifting is out of indifference or the music is inspiring me to do so. I FULLY expect to hear half of this album on a soundtrack someday. I mean, the band says the songs are mostly about relationships and then weed and a lazy cat. Sounds perfect for the next Magnolia release. Look for it soon. Check it out though, it's got a different feel to it.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Boyfriend
2. Crazy For You
3. End, The
4. Goodbye
5. Summer Mood
6. Our Deal
7. I Want To
8. When the Sun Don't Shine
9. Bratty B
10. Honey
11. Happy
12. Each and Everyday
13. When I'm With You

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Boyfriend
2. Happy
3. Summer Mood

FINAL RATING:
2.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment