Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Curren$y - Pilot Talk



Hey-yo! Finally something semi-exciting to write about in the rap world. I haven't gotten a new, good artist come across my headphones in a really long time. Probably since 2008 or early 2009 sometime. I was introduced to Curren$y about a week ago, and when I first saw it - I was honestly extremely skeptical. For two reasons: 1) it's been a bad time for hip hop. 2) his name is spelled with a dollar sign in it. Now, just thinking about what other artist has that right now and is popular - I won't even write her name out, why would you do that? But I have to realize that he's been making independent music for about 5 years, and had that before the unspeakable one. Plus, his name means money - so a dollar sign is more fitting in that regard. Either way, I was still concerned. Then I heard the first single 'Breakfast'. I was hooked. This guy has great flow, great background beats on most songs. It's like a totally unpoppy version of Lupe Fiasco that tells a story like Lauryn Hill. It's very compelling listening. I think you don't even have to be a rap fan to enjoy this one. It's that good. Anyway, he's from New Orleans - he signed to Master P's 'No Limit' way back in the day and was then on Weezy's Young Money roster until 2007. Just before they blew up. He dropped this record on Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam and I expect big things from him in the future. Do yourself a Wednesday favor and check your Curren$y!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Example
2. Audio Dope 2
3. King Kong
4. Seat Change
5. Breakfast
6. Roasted
7. Skybourne
8. The Hangover
9. The Day
10. Prioritize
11. Chilled Coughphee
12. Address
13. Life Under The Scope

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Breakfast
2. Address
3. The Day

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. so, is curren$y related to or dating ke$ha then? because their names are very similar.

    but, anyone who has a song called 'breakfast' is ok in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Not related to Ke$ha in any way, shape or form. Thankfully.

    Record is quite good. Breakfast is an outstanding track.

    ReplyDelete