Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sheryl Crow - 100 Miles To Memphis



Unlike my other New Music Tuesday review, this one actually has a pretty reasonable amount of hype to it. Historically, Sheryl Crow doesn't sell all that well right out of the gate, but over time, has proven a successful selling artist. Her first album is over 7x Platinum. Not bad at all. I think everyone is probably pretty familiar with Crow at this point. I think I'd classify her as a modern day folk singer, maybe leaning a little bit toward the poppish side of folk rock. She stated that she wanted to ditch any country or pop rock prefaces and try to do something that resembles more soul music straight from Memphis. I'm not entirely sure she succeeded with that. I think all in all, it's got a much different feel than her first record, but I'm not sure it's that drastically different. It's still pretty poppy in spots, and still a little country in spots. I'm going to classify this as pop according to my records, so if she has a specific problem with that - she can contact me directly. I think at times the vocals are a bit disconnected to the background instruments - but I can't blame Crow for that, as I'm sure she doesn't do her own arrangements. All in all - it's not bad. I guess it's also not great either. I'd say slightly above average - and I suppose my rating will convey that. There are a couple big cameos on the record - but fairly small parts. I think this will be another very slow starting record, but may end up going platinum before the day is said and done. If you're already a Crow fan, I think you'll like this too. If not, maybe you'll find a track or two you can tap your toes to. Happy Tuesday B Siders!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Our Love Is Fading
2. Eye To Eye
3. Sign Your Name
4. Summer Day
5. Long Road Home
6. Say What You Want
7. Peaceful Feeling
8. Stop
9. Sideways
10. 100 Miles From Memphis
11. Rosed And Moonlight
12. I Want You Back

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Sideways (Citizen Cope Cover)
2. I Want You Back
3. Sign Your Name

FINAL RATING:
2.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment