Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Johnny Cash - I Walk The Line



So, I'll fully admit - I'm kind of slacking today. I've got a ton going on and I still want to post, so I'm going to take it easy by hitting some sweet spot albums. I should be doing another Country review from Jen, but I honestly can't give a new album the attention it deserves - so I'm going to the one country artist that I know and love, Johnny Cash. I was turned on to Johnny as a little kid. We had an old record player up north and that was one of about 30 records we had. I always thought I hated country and I never listened to it other than that record. I loved it. Sure there was the novelty 'Suppertime' song that was great for kids, but when I actually listened to his real music - even as a young kid it had a different feel to it. Listening to something like 'Folsom Prison' just tells a story unique to anything I'd heard at the time. Heck, even today - I don't think you find a storyteller quite as good as Cash. This album came out in 1964 and to this day is only certified gold. Hard to believe with all the great tracks on it. I know his live album from Folsom is like 3x platinum and that was always his standard setter. But this album is great...for coming out before greatest hits albums were all the rage - this could easily pass as one. If you've never heard Cash before, dig yourself out of that hole and listen to him. Even if you're not a country buff, you'll enjoy at least a couple songs. I promise. Happy Thursday!

TRACK LISTING:
1. I Walk the Line
2. Bad News
3. Folsom Prison Blues
4. Give My Love to Rose
5. Hey Porter
6. I Still Miss Someone
7. Understand Your Man
8. Wreck of the Old '97
9. Still in Town
10. Big River
11. Goodbye Little Darlin' Goodbye
12. Troublesome Waters

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Folsom Prison Blues
2. I Walk The Line
3. Big River

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment