Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, November 18, 2011

Nickelback - Dark Horse



So it goes that I'm not a big fan of the Nickelback, and some people think I'm a genius, and some others think I'm a poor, misguided soul. I was talking to the latter not long ago, and she was discussing how I should give 'Dark Horse' a shot. It appears this album came out three years ago to the day - talk about timing! The album is a shocking 3x platinum, but I shouldn't be so shocked, because they've always been a pretty solid selling band. I have no idea why, but their pop/rock hybrid has been a huge hit in terms of fans. But like Creed, no one admits to actually spending their money on the albums. The album is 11 tracks deep, and somehow 8 of the singles were released for radio. That's an astounding feat in and of itself. Getting through this whole album, that surprises me a little bit only because the sound of a lot of the tracks doesn't seem to be catchy enough to warrant radioplay. I know there was one big get for this album, the WWE uses 'Burn It To The Ground' as their lead intro song on their Monday Night Raw program. Millions of people still watch pro wrestling to this day, and that isn't going to hurt band exposure. I know 'Something In Your Mouth' really won over the sexist crowds all over the US too. What douchebag of a guy didn't say that line to every girl they met for a year or so? (by the way, prime example of why I hate Nickelback) In a single word, this album is terrible. It's this blend of pop/rock/mood - and it just doesn't work. Kroger's vocal is one nearly saving grace, as he can still rock the heck out of a ballad. But the lyrics are awful, the idea that you can cram this "heavy" sound down my throat and try to sing about nonsense, but make it seem like it has a message? Ugh. It isn't even good mindless music. It doesn't get my toe tapping or anything, it just makes me angry with how I listen to it, and I think - "what is this? Why would anyone make this music?" You've got no class and no taste? Those are your lyrics? Well done Nickelback, that's one thing we finally agree on.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Something in Your Mouth
2. Burn It to the Ground
3. Gotta Be Somebody
4. I'd Come for You
5. Next Go Round
6. Just To Get High
7. Never Gonna Be Alone
8. Shakin' Hands
9. S.E.X.
10. If Today Was Your Last Day
11. This Afternoon

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Burn It To The Ground
2. If Today Was Your Last Day
3. None

FINAL RATING:
1 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your work on this info, this is certainly useful รข€“ thanks.burun estetigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Langkah Tepat Untuk Memenangkan Permainan Sabung Ayam Online Klik Di Sini

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam

    http://ayamsatebv.blogspot.com/2018/09/tiga-ketentuan-ayam-bangkok-jadi-juara.html/

    ReplyDelete