Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Johnny Cash - America VI: Ain't No Grave



Ever since I picked up a Johnny Cash greatest hits album a few years back and heard the track 'Hurt', I've been obsessed with his later in life work. Seeing the video for Hurt and then listening to what really seems to be a broken man who just wants to hit the final resting place is somewhat mind blowing. Ain't No Grave appears to be his final record in a legendary career. Now - I'll admit I'm a bit biased just because I love any artist that puts such raw emotion into their work, and normally I'd say I love this just because of that fact. But in all honesty, this one seems to fall short for me. It doesn't have that signature Hurt type track, and while I love the very minimal studio effects to this album, lyrically it's just not as mesmerizing as his other late stuff. The guitar work and arrangements are all right up there, but when I sit back and listen to it a few times, I just feel it lacks the substance overall. It's still worth checking out, and if nothing else, grab some of this other post death releases. I think overall, you'll be impressed by how much his style changed, and how one man and a guitar can really move you.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Ain't No Grave - (featuring Scott Avett)
2. Redemption Day
3. For the Good Times
4. I Corinthians 15:55
5. Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound
6. Satisfied Mind
7. I Don't Hurt Anymore
8. Cool Water
9. Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream
10. Aloha Oe

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Ain't No Grave
2. Satisfied Mind
3. Redemption Day

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment