Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, October 17, 2011

Das Racist - Relax



Apologies for late last week. I ended up getting sick and I didn't post. But we're back today with follower Ashley's Suggestion Box drop of Das Racist. Now I won't claim to have been a big Das Racist supporter before today, but I'd heard of them before at least. And listening to them more this morning, it's certainly not hip hop in the conventional sense. There is this new genre out there called 'alternative rap'. What exactly does that mean? Nothing really. Basically it isn't standard hip hop or rap, so they drop that single meaningless word in front of it. I guess they call LMFAO something similar, although they could also fit the "party rap" standard. So dumb. Anyways, these guys are from Brooklyn. They all met in Connecticut at Wesleyan University. The name came up from a tv show that would have a little kid exclaiming that things were racist. So it became a game for friends of the band to yell that things were racist and call people out. (in a joking way) So they ended up calling their band Das Racist, with the potential influence from Das EFX. That isn't confirmed, just a thought. With all of them being minorities at a liberal arts type college in Connecticut, I can imagine that they faced a fair amount of obstacles getting through school. As someone who went to basically and all white school myself, I know it was hard on the couple of black guys I was friends with. Anyways, that's kind of the debate with this group. Are they just another joke? Do they have a solid take on hip hop today and taking down some sort of cultural barrier? I'm not here to debate any of that, so I'll just form my opinion on the merits of the music. And for me, this isn't worth my while. It reminds me a lot of Soulja Boy meets LMFAO or something. Maybe slightly better lyrics, but not all tracks. I mean, 'Rest In Peace Selena'. Is that being real, or some sort of sick joke? I can't tell, and it just doesn't have the feel of some sort of tribute. I don't know. I'm sure these guys have talent, but this album isn't legit.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Relax
2. Michael Jackson
3. Brand New Dance
4. Middle of the Cake
5. Girl
6. Shut Up, Man
7. Happy Rappy
8. Booty in the Air
9. Power
10. Punjabi Song
11. Selena
12. Rainbow in the Dark
13. Trick, The
14. Celebration

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Rainbow In The Dark
2. Relax
3. Brand New Dance

FINAL RATING:
2 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

    Thanks!

    Madison
    maddie0147@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't like to other pages through the B Side. It's all about the music!

    ReplyDelete