Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Black Stone Cherry - Self Titled



Phew...Good afternoon everyone! Sorry to all those that are morning readers and didn't see any posts today. I was having some major issues with Blogger this morning and couldn't post anything! My sincerest apologies for the technical issues. Anyway, on to Hump Day reviews! I probably haven't shared anything Earth shattering with you guys in terms of hard rock lately. I noticed that most of my bands were pretty mainstream and not anything the metal followers were too leery of. Well today I run with a band Black Stone Cherry. I heard of these guys right around the time of this album dropping, which was 2005 or so. I learned today though, they've been a band since 2001 when they formed in Kentucky. Normally when I think of KY, I don't think of hard rock music. So these guys really broke from the social norms of that state. In terms of style, I'm not sure who I'd liken them to most. They have the southern anthem sound similar to Skynyrd - but I'd say they might most sound like the Black Crowes. Except maybe a little harder. I like the overall sound though. The breakthrough song I heard was 'Lonely Train'. When that was the iTunes single of the week forever ago, I was pretty hooked. That song isn't totally indicative of the rest of the album though, which is kind of a bummer. They didn't keep that same punch to the face throughout. I still like this though. It hasn't charted, so if you like it - go pick it up. Help a potentially up and coming band out!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Rain Wizard
2. Backwoods Gold
3. Lonely Train
4. Maybe Someday
5. When the Weight Comes Down
6. Crosstown Woman
7. Shooting Star
8. Hell & High Water
9. Shapes of Things
10. Violator Girl
11. Tired of the Rain
12. Drive
13. Rollin' On

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Lonely Train
2. Hell And High Water
3. Rain Wizard

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I gotta say that I enjoyed listening to these samples, all of them. I didn't think I would but I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard. Hearing them reminds me of Creed.

    I like the top three you chose, except I'd probably replace 'Lonely Train' with 'When The Weight Come Down', 'Maybe Someday' or 'Drive'. But hey to be perfectly honest, that list would probably change knowing me.

    This band sounds very familiar to me, hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know, these guys aren't huge - so I'm not sure how you'd have heard of them except in passing somewhere.

    I really enjoy Lonely Train. Easily my fave!

    Creed or maybe a little bit of Default or something. Just flat rockish.

    ReplyDelete