Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Decemberists - The King Is Dead



New Music Tuesday kicks into gear with the Decemberists today. This is a band that I've enjoyed for years, but haven't shared with you all yet. What better time than to roll with a new album right? Exactly! These guys are an (of course) indie rock band from Portland, Oregon. Frontman and singer/songwriter Colin Meloy is a pretty solid leader. His voice is very fresh and unique. If I hear a song by them, right away I know it's Decemberists. I like when you've got that distinct of a vocal. They have been around since 2000 making good mood style music. I've heard them use a HUGE range of instruments, including accordion, different organs, upright bass and plenty of others. Putting that kind of sound in modern music is something I'm a big fan of. I'm not really sure if you'd recognize any of their stuff to date. I can't seem to recall hearing them on the radio or in any other pop culture setting. This particular album is pretty folk-y, and almost a standard Americana blues-y album. Not like BB King blues, but a modern blues feel to it. I've gone through it a couple times now and I've enjoyed it a bunch. They've dropped a couple singles from it already, and I'm hearing they've gotten good reviews from the masses. I'm also reading that one of them might be an iTunes single of the week right now. I can't confirm this, but if that is true - go ahead and download it. Probably worth your zero dollars and 1 minute to download. Just sayin'. Anyhow - this has been a fun listen this morning. Give the Decemberists a shot today. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Happy Tuesday!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Don't Carry It All
2. Calamity Song
3. Rise To Me
4. Rox In the Box
5. January Hymn
6. Down By the Water
7. All Arise!
8. June Hymn
9. This is Why We Fight
10. Dear Avery

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Down By The Water
2. Dear Avery
3. Jane Hymn

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment