Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk



It's New Music Tuesday - but I don't want to get into too much filler words, because I'm not sure if you read the artist headline - but yeah, it's THE Hugh Laurie. Now, I've never been a fan of the tv show 'House', but I recognize this guy as an actor - and not a musician. Apparently in July of 2010, he signed a record deal with Warner Bros and was slated to make a blues album sometime in the future. Well, the future is just over a year later, and here we are. Hugh isn't just sitting back and collecting checks either for this. He is playing the guitar and the piano while it appears others are handing the vocal side of the house. It seems to be a compilation of classic blues tracks, and simply done with the Laurie brand on them. Now, most of the arrangements were done by someone else and naturally the album was produced by someone else too - but people say it has his "seal" on it. Whatever that means. Since I don't watch the show I had no clue - but it sounds like he would often play instruments on the program as well. Some conjectured that it was not real and that it was a professional with him syncing, but hey, you were wrong! I have no idea what to make of this. Honestly - help me. I mean, it's not bad - but it's kind of out there. I really enjoy blues music - I love old school Clapton, BB King that sort of stuff. But this is arranged to not even sound like blues. Plus, he's a freakin' actor! I let out a long sigh while typing this and just say out loud, "I don't know". Maybe there are merits here, and maybe the music is worth while - I think it's just that I don't care. I'm ambivalent to this, maybe you won't be.

TRACK LISTING:
1. St. James Infirmary
2. You Don't Know My Mind
3. Six Cold Feet
4. Buddy Bolden's Blues
5 Battle of Jericho
6. After You've Gone
7. Swanee River
8. Whale Has Swallowed Me, The
9. John Henry
10. Police Dog Blues
11. Tipitina
12. Winin' Boy Blues
13. They're Red Hot
14. Baby, Please Make a Change
15. Let Them Talk

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. St James Infirmary
2. Battle Of Jericho
3. Swanee River

FINAL RATING:
2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment