Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, September 26, 2011

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here



There has been a lot of hoopla surrounding Pink Floyd as of late. Maybe only in my inner-circle (which solely includes myself) - but still. They put out all their albums and a bunch of new artwork in this huge, super expensive box set that I totally want. I won't buy it because I'm cheap, but it looks pretty amazing. They also have this Australian based experience show that's touring the states soon. I think it's coming to Milwaukee in December, so that'll be super fun. I probably will go, because I'm such a Floyd nut. But it made me think of how many reviews I've done for the band, and the answer was a shocking one. ONE??!?! Come on. And that one review was way back when the blog first started. That's just crazy. So here I am, reviewing one of my favorite albums of all time. And you might look at me and think, what makes this go good? It's only 5 tracks deep? And normally, I'd kick my feet up and whole heartedly agree with you. Five tracks is typically way too short of an album for my tastes. But my friends, there is a reason this 1975 gem is 6x platinum in the USA. It's freakin' amazing. And even though it's only 5 songs, it's still about 50 minutes long. Not too shabby. But all the songs are incredible, and make you want to listen to more and more Floyd. There is a really great story about one of their band mates, Syd Barrett and this album - and I highly encourage you all to read about that someday. It's part of the reason this album is so great, the inspiration the band drew from his mental decline. Regardless, I can't emphasize enough how great this record is. 'Shine On' is broken into two separate tracks and nine parts. If you put all 20+ minutes together, you have a symphonic masterpiece. The other three songs are just ho-hum Top billboard type materials. With 'Have a Cigar' being one of the most recognized Floyd songs of all time. I have no way of deciding what my Top 3 are, because all 5 songs (4 if you don't break out the sections of 'Shine') are amazing. Please, check it out. Make me happy today by telling me how much you love this as well.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5)
2. Welcome To The Machine
3. Have A Cigar
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 6-9)

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. THE WHOLE ALBUM!!!

FINAL RATING:
5+ out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. i heard on the radio that it is "official" pink floyd week this week.

    'wish you were here' is easily the #1. probably one of my favorite floyd songs overall too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be that EVERY week. They're pretty awesome.

    Easily? Come on Janny. This whole album is gold. All 20 mins of 'Shine On' are outstanding. I definitely don't have a top track.

    ReplyDelete