Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers



Ahh!! Sorry that I'm posting late again today. I was in a training class all morning, and came back to some nonsense. Anyways, I wanted to get to another Lupe Fiasco album after I reviewed his debut drop a while back. Follower Ashley asked that I look into his stuff, and my curiosity was peaked. I didn't exactly fall in love with that record, but I saw potential in the fella. And not to mention, I can't go 10 minutes without hearing the track 'The Show Goes On' at this very moment. I haven't heard it enough to be annoyed with it yet though - so that's good. Just a quick sidenote, this album features a collaboration with Skyler Grey - which poses a question in my head. Is there anyone blowing up as much as she is right now? She's been featured on some HUGE singles by major artists. Not bad for someone without an album release yet. Anyways, this was supposed to be a triple album that Lupe was going to drop this year. Lasers is also an acronym for something, but it's long and not all that interesting. I want to get into the style of this album. It's a bit of everything. We've got a lot of hip hop elements, but then quite a heavy r&b influence with some soul and even some alternative type music. It makes for a really easy, and fun listen. Analyzing a couple tracks, 'Show' is an anthem. It's a dance track that everyone can sing along to in the club. Every club in America could play this song as the last of the night. It's honestly perfect. 'Words' has that old school rap track feel with a sick beat, and then the hook perfectly done by an artist with a great vocal. And pretty much every song is solid lyrically, so that's not an issue. Track 3 has the awesome piano arrangement and feels like a Kid Cudi track or any other well defined rapper that uses instruments. It's safe to say I like this. And I think it's safe to say there is something for everyone. I can't imagine anyone would hear this and be totally turned off - but I could be wrong. I'm going to recommend it, and hopefully you give it a shot.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Letting Go
2. Words I Never Said
3. Till I Get There
4. I Don't Wanna Care Right Now
5. Out of My Head
6. Show Goes On, The
7. Beautiful Lasers (2 Ways)
8. Coming Up
9. State Run Radio
10. Break the Chain
11. All Black Everything
12. Never Forget You

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. The Show Goes On
2. Break The Chain
3. Words I Never Said

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I thought your review would have "LASERS" sink rather than swim.It swam!!!!.....Yes.

    I don't know if you've read any other reviews or critiques of this album but, it's been beaten down for the most part, even by his hardcore fans. Many think that he diverted from his roots and went "pop" so to speak. I don't think so. I think, as I've herd him put it many times, the sound is larger than what many are accustomed to. When you covered "Food & Liquor" I'm sure you may have noticed that there were no super mainstream beats going on. With this current release, however, he said that he wanted to venture into areas he previously hadn't. So some things were on purpose. There was a lot that happened behind the scenes with this one though. Many shady record politics went on but, I'll digress from that and let you look into it should you care to. Anywayz, thanks for putting this one up. "All Black Everything" is great to me, love the concept, the beat and everything. "I Don't Wanna Care" is awesome live, well from the YouTube Clips I've seen :) He and the band will transition into the "Everyone Nose (Remix)" and he'll spit his lines.

    "The Cool", Pretty please, with a cherry on top, and extra chocolate? LOL, jk, no rush :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did read about all the nonsense going on with the label. That stuff is always unfortunate.

    I thought he was poppy with 'Kick, Push' - so I'm not sure the selling out thought ever crossed my mind. He seems like a genre bender anyhow.

    Yep...I'll get to that album too. Look for it within a month or so.

    ReplyDelete