Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Metallica - Master Of Puppets



I know, I know, I know. I know what you're thinking. More Metallica B Side? Please...can't you find other metal to do? My response is, I've done 51 metal reviews now, and only three of them have been Metallica. And hey, I listened to this at total random over the weekend, and I forgot how awesome it is. Master of Puppets came out in 1986 and is 6x platinum in the USA. 1986. This came out around the same time as the H2O album I reviewed last week. Can you imagine? What an odd time in the industry. You had "rock" music like Hall and Oates out there for people to graze on, but then you also had "rock" music like this out there, with people banging their heads to it. What an odd time for rock in general. While we all know my stance on the poppy, synthed out version, it couldn't be more opposite for the metal coming out of the same time period. This album is flat out awesome. And you don't even have to be a metal nut to enjoy it. While I like hard rock, it's not exactly my wheelhouse genre or go-to genre. But I can toss a record like this one on, and I just groove away. And I sing along to tracks like 'Master', 'Sanitarium' and even 'Battery' a little bit. So it's got the lyrics, and not just the hard sound that makes people fear you're listening to the devil's music. My only complaint on this record would be length, at only 8 tracks. But hey, it's still awesome. Three monster hits (the ones I named earlier) and 5 more great songs. I won't go as far out on a limb to say it with certainty - but this might be the best metal album ever recorded. If it's not number one, it's at worst top 5. Book it.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Battery
2. Master of Puppets
3. Thing That Should Not Be, The
4. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
5. Disposable Heroes
6. Leper Messiah
7. Orion
8. Damage, Inc

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Master Of Puppets
2. Welcome Home
3. Battery

FINAL RATING:
4.75 out of 5 stars

7 comments:

  1. before i can comment on anything, you must see this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guIzVXlAnA0&feature=player_embedded.


    i am not sure how i feel about this. i am also not sure why there is a giant phallus in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this album is so good. SO GOOD. 'battery' live is one of the greatest concert moments ever. a kid i went to high school with used to try to argue that 'orion' was the best metallica song of all time. it's good but i am quite certain that i disagree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm...I got to see the heading and shut it down. My brain won't let me proceed.

    Orion? Not even close! I'm not sure what my fave Metallica song is ever. I've always been partial to 'Fade To Black', 'Master of Puppets' and 'Bleeding Me'.

    And way to change your handle to a moniker that I invented! +10000!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i figured you'd appreciate that :) my favorite metallica song changes annually. this year it's 'of wolf and man' and it's impossible to predict the next favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to pull up more albums. I do really like a few tracks off Garage Inc, S&M and even Death Magnetic a bit too. Not faves, but all in all good tracks.

    Oh, I also don't own '...And Justice for All'. At least I think I used to, and now it vanished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can rectify that during our next swap. no, i don't know when that'll be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you don't...you're just TOO busy.

    ReplyDelete