Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Coal Chamber - Self Titled



Way back in 1999 or so, my metal tastes were really being formed. I was working at Cousins Subs and we used to toss on our favorite albums after we closed, crank them to 11 and then rock out until everything was cleaned up and ready to go for the next morning. Let me tell you - sometimes when you're just listening to loud music and working to get not fun stuff done, metal can really motivate you. Especially a band like Coal Chamber. We had this manager named Jim who LOVED metal. And this album was one that he used to play fairly often. Coal Chamber has this alt/industrial/nu metal combo platter that is pretty intense. You really feel like punching someone in the face - or just cleaning harder. These guys formed all the way back in 1992 and were known as Seal Chamber. 1994 saw some lineup changes and the Coal Chamber brand formed. They rocked out at Ozzfest in '95, their first big gig. Finally the dropped this record in 1997. Since I'm guessing many of you haven't heard these guys before, I'll compare them to more familiar acts. I think they have a bit of a White Zombie/Korn blend. They're a little harder than most Korn but not quite as dark as Zombie perhaps. But in terms of industrial style metal, this album is pretty awesome. I won't say it's the best - but it's up there. I've played a couple tracks off this for other people (one being totally anti-metal) and he even found himself singing 'Big Truck' throughout the day. Gosh, I love that track. Give this a go today. You might be surprised how a little metal can find its way into your heart.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Loco
2. Bradley
3. Oddity
4. Unspoiled
5. Big Truck
6. Sway
7. First
8. Maricon Puto
9. I
10. Clock
11. My Frustration
12. Amir of the Desert
13. Dreamtime
14. Pig

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Big Truck
2. I
3. Loco

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. i think i am going to pull this album out... or flip to it on my ipod...whatever... for my morning drive tomorrow. this album: better, worse, or equal to chamber music? let me tell you about chamber music. the cover of 'shock the monkey' with ozzy is pretty terrible but i loved it.

    and let me tell you another story. the first time i ever listened to pantera was at cousins with jim. kinda miss seeing him in the pit at shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome! Let me know how your drive goes with it on.

    Jim was pretty awesome. I'll never forget him. RIP.

    ReplyDelete