Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, April 25, 2011

Avett Brothers - I And Love And You



The B Side is in a good mood today. Why you ask? Well, yesterday was Easter - and instead of my normal family traditions, I went to the Brewer game. Which they won, and was awesome. (and was only $6 dollar tickets!!) So all in all, a solid weekend. My reviews today might tend to be overly positive because of my mood. Regardless, I start with the Avett Brothers at the request of my good buddy Heidi - who hasn't written in quite sometime. Need to get that back on track. I hadn't heard of this band before - turns out they are Concord, North Carolina and have been making music since 2000. They have an astounding 11 studio albums out in 10 years with three live albums. That's a crazy amount of music being produced by these people. It's a five man band including Scott and Seth Avett - which is clearly how they got the game. The employ a guitar, banjo, stand up bass, cello and drums for their normal sets - and then include more instruments while touring. Having listened to this record a meager one time now - I'm not really sure how I'd classify the music. I mean, it's got an overall country type feel, with hints of folk-y rock and kind of an old school feel. People have called them a mash up of the Beatles, Buddy Holly and the Ramones - but I won't go that far. Their grandfather was a minister, so some of their music seems to have a religious undertone - so add that into the genre mix. I think I could call this more of a bluegrass version of Counting Crows - but that's just me. This album starts off kind of slow - but it tempos up toward the middle and it displays a nice range of tuneage. I enjoy the lyrics in a couple tracks as well - making this a solid listen. I don't really think I could find anything wrong with this album - other than it's probably not something I'd listen to every single day. But start to finish - it's well worth a listen. Happy Monday B Siders!

TRACK LISTING:
1. I and Love and You
2. January Wedding
3. Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise
4. And It Spread
5. Perfect Space, The
6. Ten Thousand Words
7. Kick Drum Heart
8. Laundry Room
9. Ill with Want
10. Tin Man
11. Slight Figure of Speech
12. It Goes on and On
13. Incomplete and Insecure

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise
2. Tin Man
3. And It Spread

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment