Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, April 4, 2011

James Blake - Self Titled



Phew...what a day. Sorry for posting so late this morning, but I wasn't feeling well this morning and slept in pretty late. I got up and thought, man I gotta get some posts up on the B Side!! I don't have immediate access to my book of reviews at the moment, so I'm just going to wing it. I recently heard of this James Blake fella, and decided to go with him today. Mr. Blake here is an electronic composer from London, England. But it's not really the electronic you'd expect from the B Side. It's a very different groove. He started making music in 2009 at the ripe old age of 20. His father, James Litherland is also a British musician, fairly popular in his own right. Blake was studying music at a prestigious British college where he decided to start laying down some vinyl records. He's gotten a sudden rush of fans and acclaim from all over the world. One of his mix albums was named the hottest record in the world and he's blown up from there. He is touring around the US, and that's really the only reason I heard about him. Some friends of mine are going to a show in Chicago. This album dropped in February this year, and has seen solid sales thusfar. Blake in interviews seemed melancholy about some of the critical acclaim, stating "fans would be a lot less surprised" by the quality of the record. I can't disagree with anything positive said about this. It's incredibly different and really quite awesome. It's got that electronic 'mood' feel which I've never really heard before. It's something very unique, and this album is outstanding. This is definitely a must listen. Happy Monday!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Unluck
2. Wilhelm Scream, The
3. I Never Learnt to Share
4. Lindisfarne I
5. Lindisfarne II
6. Limit to Your Love
7. Give Me My Month
8. To Care (Like You)
9. Why Don't You Call Me
10. I Mind
11. Measurements

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Limit To Your Love
2. Why Don't You Call Me
3. The Wilhelm Scream

FINAL RATING:
4.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment