Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open



Sometimes I shock myself at how truly random my reviews can be. I can only imagine what it's like to be the reader, and read something and potentially listen to some techno music and chase it down with modern country. Today, I have no rhyme or reason as to why I picked this old Snow Patrol record. I was strumming through some tunes the other day and 'Chasing Cars' popped up on shuffle. So here we go...taking it back to 2006 or so. I have some conflicting reports that these guys originated in Scotland or Ireland. I know they all met in Scotland, but I don't totally see where the Ireland part comes in. Oh well. When they did start in 1994, they dropped a few very unsuccessful independent albums. It wasn't until signing with Polydor in 2002 when they dropped a 6x platinum record in the UK. Then in 2006 'Eyes Open' here dropped, and with the aforementioned 'Chasing Cars' single, it propelled them to worldwide success. They had a bunch of really strange things happen after popularity struck. They were on a tour in the US when the lead singer developed polyps on his vocal chords, and they also had to postpone a US trip due to a terrorist threat on all US bound planes from the UK. Their music got used in multiple US television shows and US based films. They've put out one other record since, and are working on another due out soon. They're style isn't entirely unique or anything, and this album isn't going to make you melt. But it's solid. There are a couple really nice singles and the overall 'mood' feel is really nice. It's a good listen for that cold, rainy day (like it is today in Wisconsin). I've never listened to any of their other stuff, so I'm band basing on one album. Dangerous - I know. But this is worth a listen today, especially if your weather is similar to mine.

TRACK LISTING:
1. You're All I Have
2. Hands Open
3. Chasing Cars
4. Shut Your Eyes
5. It's Beginning to Get to Me
6. You Could Be Happy
7. Make This Go on Forever
8. Set the Fire to the Third Bar
9. Headlights on Dark Roads
10. Open Your Eyes
11. Finish Line, The

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Chasing Cars
2. Open Your Eyes
3. Make This Go On Forever

FINAL RATING:
2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment