Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Papa Roach - Infest




So I've been hearing things lately, a surprising amount of things coming out of the Papa Roach camp. Now, I'm not exactly a Roach-head or anything. I grooved to 'Last Resort' back in the early 2000's like everyone else. Since? Hmm, I don't think I could even really name a song since. As I'm doing the research today, Papa Roach formed in 1993 in Vacaville, California. The four guys were from different high school in California - and it started when Jacoby Shaddix and drummer Dave Buckner met playing football. They started talking about music and formed a band. The band name comes from Shaddix's step-grandfather, Howard William Roatch - who was nicknamed Papa Roach and committed suicide in 1996. The band has paid homage a couple times since his death. They spent quite a bit of time doing local stuff and going unnoticed. They dropped a demo off at Warner Bros records in the late 90's that pretty much ended up being this album. Warner didn't see any real value in the demo tape, and declined any deal. A matter of days later, DreamWorks offered them a deal, and dropped this record. 'Infest' dropped in 2000 and is a nice 3x platinum in the US. It is hands down their best selling album. Back during this time, their music focused on metal - maybe numetal, but also added a rap type element. You can hear that style similar to Linkin Park or AAF if you're familiar. I wanted to do a current album of theirs since I'd been hearing positive things, but their latest drop was a bunch of live compliation stuff - and I have a strict policy against doing greatest hits type work. It sounds like the rapping and all that is gone, and they focus more on rock now than ever. When I go back to this, it's pretty average in general. There are a couple toe tapping tracks, but it doesn't show any range and stays pretty flat throughout. Maybe I'd like the new style better, as some of the "rap" starts to bother me toward the end. One day I'll get to more current stuff, and see how it goes down.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Infest
2. Last Resort
3. Broken Home
4. Dead Cell
5. Between Angels and Insects
6. Blood Brothers - (explicit version only)
7. Revenge
8. Snakes
9. Never Enough
10. Binge
11. Thrown Away

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Last Resort
2. Never Enough
3. Infest

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment