Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Yeah Yeah Yeah's - It's Blitz!



Punk rock is a very broad genre. Probably an overused term in today's music industry. The style changes so much over the years, that's it's hard to pick out a band that really identifies with the title. Sex Pistols, Green Day, Fall Out Boy are all bands that have used that genre description in the past, but don't necessarily have a close sound to bands that share that culture today. Shaqwanda asked that I take a good, hard listen to the Yeah Yeah Yeah's today, and specifically this record. I have heard of these guys before, but probably couldn't have identified a song by theirs if it meant my life was on the line. So diving in head first today, they come up with that punk rock/indie rock genre, which puts a style in my head. But turning on the first couple tracks, it's more than that. This record bends so many different styles and sounds, labeling it with that one moniker is a disservice to the band. They formed in 2000 in New York and haven't put down the music since. They've dropped three studio albums, with this being the most recent from 2009. Each of their albums have been nominated for a grammy - but they are yet to bring one home. What I'm reading states this record is quite a bit different than the previous two, which I'm slightly bummed about - because this one is rocking my socks off today. I love the lead singers vocal, I love the dirty guitar on songs and I love the keyboards/piano. They've all done some outside of the band projects and done some contributions to soundtracks. That makes sense given the adapting sound. Simply put, this is awesome. I'm going to listen to it at least 3 times today. I can't imagine a world where people think this is not good or even subpar. It's now on my high rating list.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Zero
2. Heads Will Roll
3. Soft Shock
4. Skeletons
5. Dull Life
6. Shame And Fortune
7. Runaway
8. Dragon Queen
9. Hysteric
10. Little Shadow

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Runaway
2. Skeletons
3. Dull Life

FINAL RATING:
4.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment