Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

tUnEyArDs - w h o k i l l



Whoa! Today is going to be a double dose of New Music Tuesday without skipping an installation of Techno Tuesday. A while back - follower Ashley asked how I come up with new DJ's each week to share with you guys. I'll reiterate my stance that's it is simply stupid luck. Again today, I was looking through new music today (even though I knew who I was reviewing) and came across this Tune-Yards record here. It looked odd so I clicked on it, and found it to be semi-magical. It had the odd spelling thing and then the spaces between letters on the album title, so I figured it had to be some sort of electronic madness. And it kind of is - I mean, it's not techno in the standard sense, but it's very electronic and experimental. So I'm saying that classifies today. Basically, this "band" is a project of New England resident Merrill Garbus. When he does live shows, he makes up drum loops right on the spot and then layers ukulele, voice, saxophone and electric bass. That would be pretty neat to see. His first small EP was done on a recycled cassette tape and recorded with a hand held recorder. It eventually was remastered and released in 2009. There isn't a ton of information about this guy (or guys when performing live) out there. He got signed to 4AD records after they heard the potential in the tape. This album also shows promise, just because it's music that's so different. Some songs are really fast paced and fun - others are super ballads and slowed down, but they're all pretty good. This album certainly isn't for everyone - but the strangeness is right up my alley. It's like a less polished version of my band that I'll be reviewing next for New Music Tuesday. If Mr. Garbus keeps it up, he might have a similar style and sound.

TRACK LISTING:
1. My Country
2. Merrill Garbus
3. Gangsta
4. Powa
5. Riotriot
6. Bizness
7. Doorstep
8. You Yes You
9. Woolywollygong
10. Killa

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Powa
2. Gangsta
3. Killa

FINAL RATING:
3.25 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for getting back to that one.

    I gotta say that while not completely unusual, the arrangements of these songs would take me some getting used to. You know, some of them sound like some sort of ending or beginning credit music for some combat video game.

    Just a little odd for my taste though I did like "Powa". I don't know. Something new though, thanks for sharing this one. "Haaa!!!, Whoooo!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is different. I kind of liked the different-ness to it. I'm not sure how often I'd listen to it, but I think every so often would work for me.

    I always like to support people who are making crazy music. Even if I don't like it. I think we listen to too many of the same brands often, and it helps having variety.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I didn't even think about it like that B.

    It is nice to have some variety, or as you put it some "different-ness".

    Yay to fresh styles and fresh music!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be curious how this does. I doubt it'll get any major play - but if a bunch of critics are high on it, it'll get noticed.

    ReplyDelete