Friday, October 29, 2010
B Side Presents, "Friday Gut Check - Frightful Singles"
Ahh yes. Halloween is quickly approaching us my friends. Not typically a holiday I choose to celebrate - but many people do. And what better way to celebrate than coming up with some sick, twisted All Hallow's Eve playlists? Today a challenge was brought forth by follower janis! to spring into action on some spooky tracks. The challenge in all reality was to come up with songs that had anything to do with Halloween. Not necessarily scary songs - anything that has to do with the darkness, monsters, has names in the title that are Halloween-ish. You all get the idea.
First I want to say this was a hard list to come up with. I'm so proud of what I thought of I'm going to post my honorable mentions:
Bad Moon Rising - CCR
Black Magic Woman - Santana
Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
People Are Strange - The Doors
Twilight Zone - Golden Earring
I'm Your Boogieman - White Zombie
War Pigs/Iron Man - Black Sabbath (kind of a stretch, but maybe they work)
Now on to the classic Friday Top 5!
5. Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell: How could this not be on the top 5? It's a song about well, hell. Except this version is upbeat and swing style. It really is a great song. I know I reviewed the album a long while back - but it's worth checking out if you missed it.
4. Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein: Another track that had to be in the top 5 just based on name. Oh yeah, it also features probably one of the most recognized signature guitar riffs in music history. Not a fan of Edgar overall - but this track makes it happen.
3. Highway To Hell - AC/DC: Was there ever a band that conveyed more of a tough image than these guys? And I mean classic rock too - not new stuff where you have morons on stage spraying faygo dressing like clowns. AC/DC will rock your face off - then kick your a**.
2. Battle Of Evermore - Led Zeppelin: Did you think of this one? I bet you didn't. This song is about - uhh, a battle. Perhaps at Evermore? Arrangement wise, it's very brooding and different. Lyrics are very dark and set a very cool vibe. This track is amazing, and you should listen to it right now!
1. Zombie - The Cranberries: Yeah. It's a track called Zombie! What gets more Halloween than that? Zombies have pretty much taken over the pop culture scene - everywhere you turn there is another zombie movie, people are dressing like them etc etc. Vampires tried to dethrone the zombie - but there is just too much quality in eating brains. The cadillac of halloween villains!
I know Heidi has an opinion and will be chiming in later too. Give us what you got B Siders! Oh yeah, and Happy Halloween!