Friday, October 15, 2010
B Side Presents, "I Want My Retort"
I still love music videos. Heidi states they're not the same as they used to be, and maybe that is true. I personally think they're better. More artists nowadays use them to tell a story - that often actually pertains to the video now. Crazy. The biggest problem is, yeah - no one plays them on tv anymore. Seeing them on YouTube or iTunes doesn't quite have the same effect - but it's all good. Here are my Top 5 music videos of all time. (Oh, and a big shoutout to the Black Keys - Tighten Up. It almost made my list, and is my photo above. Check it out sometime!)
5. Karma Police - Radiohead: What an entertaining video. Of course, almost everything by Radiohead is entertaining. This could pass as a captivating short film, and yet it's a music video. Why is the lead singer so down? Why are we chasing someone?? Where did everyone go??? Excellent work. WATCH
4. Stylo - Gorillaz: Okay, for serious. Who doesn't love the tough Bruce Willis/John McClane type character? Gorillaz brings that in for a delightful romp in video form for Stylo. Not my favorite track, but it's a really fun video. The ending leaves something up for specutlation, but that's part of the fun. WATCH
3. Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden: Probably the most iconic video of my youth. The barbie spinning over the grill haunted my dreams for years. The 90's was filled with these sort of weird videos that had absolutely nothing to do with the actual song. It was so creepy and scary if you were little, but you couldn't turn a way. The giant smiling faces, the distorted eyes. The crazy lady chopping a fish that still alive. I watch it to this day and still laugh when the old lady is putting on lipstick watching the guy do pushups. Classic. WATCH
2. Sabotage - Beastie Boys: How can this be number two? Phenemenal video. You'd have no idea this was the actual Beasties in the cop uniforms. I'm not even sure I have the words to decribe how awesome the video is. It blows my mind to this day with how amazing it is. Yet another video you can't seem to tune out of. If it's on, you HAVE TO watch. That captivating. Great song - even better video. WATCH
1. Smack My Bitch Up - Prodigy: Okay, this is why Beasties aren't number one. You might not even recall this video, because MTV pulled it off the air due to some controversy. It's so awesome, I can't even find the real version on YouTube. I hope someone out there can find it, so I can link to the blog. Best video ever.
There are a TON of other music videos that could be on the list. I came up with almost 30 off the top of my head that I loved. Let's hear it, what are your top 5 videos ever?