Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Crystal Castles - Self Titled (II)



I missed Techno Tuesday last week - and miss techno in general. It's been a good month or two since I sat down to my techno jam playlist. Usually when I'm the busiest at work is when I put it on. There's nothing better to have going in the background and stay upbeat in order to get work done. I really encourage everyone to try it out. So recently - I was running through a favorite of mine - the techno artist Caribou - and found these guys. "These guys" are a pair of Canadians - producer Ethan Kath and vocalist Alice Glass. Around 2004 - they got together and started laying down some funky fresh beats. Now - I'm no expert, but there used to be an old Atari game called Crystal Castles. Do you think their name came from that game? I'm not totally sure, but the sound they have is very similar to that from the game. No, not cheesy eight bit sound quality, but that really high pitched repeated backdrop. It's actually really cool. Anyone who played Atari or even the original NES - I guarantee there was one game you played that you'd be whistling or humming the music to after you were done playing. You didn't even know that it was affecting you, but all of the sudden you're singing the Mario Bros theme. They've gotten into some legal disputes over some copyright, but who cares. Techno and dance is all about sampling and turning good beats into great beats. I really enjoyed this album the couple times I've went through it now. It's different and fun. If you're in the mood to groove today - pick up this new find like I did today. You won't be depressed!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Fainting Spells
2. Celestica
3. Doe Deer
4. Baptism
5. Year of Silence
6. Empathy
7. Suffocation
8. Violent Dreams
9. Vietnam
10. Birds
11. Pap Smear
12. Not in Love
13. Intimate
14. I Am Made of Chalk

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Baptism
2. Fainting Spells
3. Empathy

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I had to comment on this one.

    Never heard of them a day in my life.

    I liked "Empathy" and "Birds" already. "I Am Made Of Chalk" sounded like some intense ending to a Final Fantasy game plot, no lie. I liked the review, and this is really something new for me. I don't listen to techno all that much. but when it's brought to my attention I'll give it a go. Thanks for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of them either. It's crazy how that can work some days.

    I really liked the whole album. The video game (old school) feel, and the overall entertainment of listening start to finish. I am considering buying it!

    ReplyDelete