Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Usher - Versus



Country and pop both in the same day?!?! Have I lost my marbles? Nope, it's just what came across my headphones today. When I review pop, I try to grab the hottest artist of the moment. (if I do current pop) And right now, Usher is on a really solid run. Back when I first started the blog, Usher dropped Raymond vs Raymond. That was in March or so. When I reviewed that, I recall mentioning something about the label flowing singles off that record too quickly, and that the sales would diminish after the singles stopped. Well - little did I know - they had an EP right around the corner to follow it up! EP = Extended Play for those who may not know. In the pop world, EP means a follow up to an album of tracks that maybe didn't make the original CD - or a way to generate smaller buzz after an album. In rap terms, and EP is usually a mixtape that generates buzz for an upcoming album. Slightly different. But all in all for Usher, this means he's been clogging the radio airwaves for a good 8 months now. I don't have specific issue with this, other than what he says the subject matter what about. He says it was an album exploring his life and newly single father. This album has nothing to do with that. He also put 'There Goes My Baby' on this again - which can be found on Raymond vs Raymond in the exact same form. That's lazy. Otherwise, I think Usher is also trying to appeal more to the hip hop crowd again - which is a bad move. His bread and butter is clearly in the pop area. Not many rap die hards take him seriously. Just sayin'. Anyway, this is mediocre - but worth a listen. 3 of the 9 tracks here will be (and already are) huge singles. I'd pay 4 dollars for it - that's all it's worth.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Love 'Em All
2. DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love
3. Hot Tottie
4. Lay You Down
5. Lingerie
6. There Goes My Baby
7. Get In My Car
8. Somebody To Love (Remix)
9. Stranger

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Hot Tottie
2. DJ Got Us Fallin In Love
3. There Goes My Baby (liked it last time, like it this time)

FINAL RATING:
2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment