Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, November 1, 2010

Queens Of The Stone Age - Self Titled



Monday. Just another Manic Monday. Wait, this isn't a Bengals review. This is a QotSA review! And this was requested in the box via follower janis!. I decided to run with this right away because quite frankly, I don't know much by them. When 'No One Knows' hit the radio off 'Songs For The Deaf' I recall listening to that album back in 2002 - but that's honestly the only album I knew by them. I was quite surprised that they had about 5 more albums in their discography and that they'd been dropping albums since 1998. This album being their initial release - way back in that '98 timeframe. These guys came out of California and have a fairly unique sound. I'm not sure what about it is so different - but it feels odd. Remember when Lou Reed was making music way back in the day? It kinda had that brooding rock kind of feel to it? That's where I think these guys go. It's still rock. Maybe a little bit of punk rock sprinkled in. But the overall feel is almost Halloween-ish. Like a scary, melodic rock haunts its way into your soul. And not all songs are that way - but the few that are seem to be what stick out for me. If you thought this album cover was a little risque - you should see the alternate release LP version. It has what a topless lady on the cover with something partially covering her - looking like she's in space. Of course that wouldn't fly in the states - because we're very prudish here. Regardless, this album is rock solid. It's hard to find anything to be negative about again. It's just flat out good. I love how these guys play really heavy but stay so laid back. It's very refreshing. Very worth a check out today. If you don't know much QotSA like I didn't, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

TRACK LISTING:
1. Regular John
2. Avon
3. If Only
4. Walkin' On the Sidewalks
5. You Would Know
6. Bronze, The
7. How To Handle a Rope (A Lesson In the Lariat)
8. Mexicola
9. Hispanic Impressions
10. You Can't Quit Me Baby
11. These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For
12. Give the Mule What He Wants
13. Spiders and Vinegaroons
14. I Was a Teenage Hand Model

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Regular John
2. I Was A Teenage Hand Model
3. Avon

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment