Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Eric Benet - Lost In Time



Have you ever heard Eric Benet before? If you're anything like me, you knew him for two reasons: 1) he was from Milwaukee (so maybe you didn't know that if you're not from Milwaukee like me - but go with it) 2) he was married to Halle Berry. That was significant, because it gave any random Milwaukee guy hope that he could marry a girl like Halle. I knew he was a musician, but I had no idea what genre he was in, or ever heard anything by him. Well, that's the fun part of having a music blog. I stumbled upon him dropping a new record today and though, why not? Turns out this is his fifth studio release since 1996. Not too bad for a guy I'd never heard of. This guy has seen a myriad of tragedy over the years. His father died of cancer, his girlfriend was involved in a bad car accident, was in a coma for five days - then finally passed on. This all happened while he was trying to get noticed and make music. He turned his back on music for a brief period, and started working for UPS in Milwaukee. He didn't give up on the dream though, and the rest is history. I'm not really sure how to classify this one. It's got a Ne-Yo type feel to it, without the poppy backdrops. Very soulful, and probably something that wouldn't get major airplay on the radio. Maybe some specialized stations that focus on R&B - that's about it. I like it though. I like his vocal, his voice and I like the arrangements. Who doesn't love that old school Marvin Gaye vocal over the horns? It's timeless. Check this out today. Even if your only reason is to support a Milwaukee guy. You might be impressed.

TRACK LISTING
1. Never Want To Live Without You
2. Feel Good
3. Sometimes I Cry
4. Always A Reason
5. Paid
6. Take It
7. Stir It Up
8. Summer Love
9. Lost In Time
10. Good Life
11. Something's Wrong

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Never Want To Live Without You
2. Sometimes I Cry
3. Lost In Time

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. This is ironic, me and my mom were just listening to Benet a few days ago. I hadn't heard anything from him in a while so I'm thrilled you reviewed this one. You mentioned you never heard anything from him, well I'll tell you, the boy can blow.

    loved what heard from the samples. Your right I don't think that this will become consistant on the radio, but that's not a bad thing. I believe this will be one of those that you have to pick up and listen to for yourself. The last song 'Something's Wrong" really reminds me of his previous work, which I don't mind because It shows me that he hasn't lost the sense of who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. He for sure can sing...which seems rare nowadays.

    The radio thing I 100% agree. It's probably better for him to not see play, and keep the faithful going.

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete