Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy



Of course my top New Music Tuesday spot had to go to Kanye. My fellow writer Heidi and I were chatting about him yesterday. He's a very unlikeable character to most people. His arrogance, selfishness and cockiness seem to be projected across the US. Couple things on that - 1) I couldn't care less - I'm all about his music. 2) Part of that arrogance etc is part of the act. It helps sell albums. 3) You really have to listen to his music. I'm not saying that he tries to redeem himself or apologize in his music, but if you listen to 808's and now this album, you hear the Kanye coming through that you don't or hear in the general media. It's actually crazy. It's like a night and day change in mentality. I enjoyed Kanye's first couple albums too, they were poppy and fun. But 808's and now this album - wow. A whole new level of amazing. I know a lot of people didn't get 808's or didn't like his overuse of autotune. That's okay, I understand where you're coming from. But the pure subject matter, and the pure music behind it is so powerful. This album at first glance, is hitting that same stride. So much so, I'm going to spend my hard earned money on it today. I'm going to go to Best Buy, and proudly give more money to Mr. West. Why? The sheer hope he keeps making music like this. Not 'Good Life' with T-Pain - more dark, brooding beats with all the lyrics of what he's going through. That's the reason I love Em, and that's the reason I'm starting to love Kanye. Right now, I'm in love with this album. Maybe in a week or two I'll re-review this and Minaj. See if my first impressions hold true.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Dark Fantasy
2. Gorgeous
3. POWER
4. All Of the Lights (Interlude)
5. All Of the Lights
6. Monster
7. So Appalled
8. Devil In a New Dress
9. Runaway
10. Hell Of a Life
11. Blame Game
12. Lost In the World
13. Who Will Survive In America

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Runaway
2. So Appalled
3. Power

FINAL RATING:
4.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment