Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, December 6, 2010

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black



Happy Monday B Siders! If you're near my neck of the woods - it's cold. What better way to warm up than with some good, old fashioned music? I decided to roll with Amy Winehouse today, as my mood style review for the week. Everyone is probably acquainted with her story - but I'll tell it again anyway. Amy was born just a few weeks after me, in England. (That's 1983 for those in the know) From a young age she was pretty rebellious. Her father was a cab drive and often sung jazz around the house. Winehouse enjoyed the jazz her father played, and would sing as well. Her grandmother felt Amy had some talent - and brought up the idea of her enrolling in a music school. Well, she did. Met a friend and started a "rap" group called Sweet'n'Sour. That didn't last long, and either did Amy in that school. She was expelled for "not applying herself" (whatever that means) and piercing her nose. That didn't really stop her though. She started seeing major label success in 2003 or so. She didn't hit international success until her 2006 release of this record. She's went 2x platinum in the states and then 12x platinum in the UK when you combine the two editions of this released over the pond. She's really struggled with substance abuse, eating disorders and general health problems the past few years. This probably leads to her not putting out more music yet. She was supposed to drop something this year in November, but that didn't work out. She then stated it would drop no later than January of 2011. We shall see. As far as this one, it's fine. I really thought I'd love this when I heard her sound and her style. I don't love it, just like it. I'd recommend giving it a shot though, as many people do love it. Worth a Monday morning listen for sure.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Rehab
2. You Know I'm No Good
3. Me & Mr. Jones
4. Just Friends
5. Back to Black
6. Love Is a Losing Game
7. Tears Dry on Their Own
8. Wake up Alone
9. Some Unholy War
10. He Can Only Hold Her
11. No Good Remix

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. You Know I'm No Good
2. Wake Up Alone
3. Rehab

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments: