Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

P.O.D - Satellite



When I have my very broad definitions of genres while writing this blog, sometimes bands get a little caught in the middle. I think I'd consider POD as one of those bands. While I'm going to classify this as my metal/hard rock for the week, I'm not sure they totally fit into that category. If you listen to what they have, even just on this album, I go back and forth. Regardless, POD is an acronym for Payable On Death. These guys are labeled as a Christian Metal band from San Diego, California. They started making music in 1992 or so, but didn't really see a ton of success. They dropped a couple of lesser known albums on small labels. Then they hit the mainstream in 1999 with their first Atlantic Records drop. That contained the single 'Rock The Party' which was TRL's first ever number one video. That show was HUGE in the late 90's and early 2000's. I actually had no idea that it was over with, but I guess it is. I can certainly remember watching the show daily (with Carson Daly) and also recall that song being huge. Then 2 years later this album dropped. It certainly saw their success continue. Satellite had a TON of big singles off of it. This was actually released on September 11th of 2001. That infamous day in US history. I think part of the reason this album is 3x platinum, is the single 'Alive'. That song was kind of a "fight back" song against the terrorists responsible for 9/11. They won a grammy in 2002 - and that kind of cemented them in music lore. Anyway, this is worth checking out today. It is a little metal, a little pop and a little fun. Not a 5 star album, but solid.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Set It Off
2. Alive
3. Boom
4. Youth of the Nation
5. Celestial
6. Satellite
7. Ridiculous
8. Messenjah, The
9. Guitarras de Amor
10. Anything Right
11. Ghetto
12. Masterpiece Conspiracy
13. Without Jah, Nothin'
14. Thinking About Forever
15. Portrait

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Youth Of A Nation
2. Alive
3. Boom

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment