Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pearl Jam - Vs



Ahh Pearl Jam. My arch nemesis. Those who have been reading since the beginning - they know that I respect Pearl Jam, and what they've done both musically themselves and for the industry as a whole. But they also know that I'm simply not that big a fan of them. I can't really explain why - their music just doesn't click with me like other bands. And I know what you're thinking, "but B Side - you LOVE 90's alt rock!" And you'd be right, in general. I own this album. I bought it when I was younger. I listen to it from time to time. To me, it's a really solid time waster album. And by that I mean, it's pretty good all the way through. I wouldn't skip any tracks because they're so intolerable. But here is where I get my 'overrated' mentality. None of the tracks are SO AMAZING, that I want to listen to this over and over. I've seen them live, I've listened to every album they've put out (except the newest ones) and I just don't get it. Regardless, for those who are unbiased or haven't heard this. It's pretty solid. It's got that very grunge-ish sound, signature of the era. This was their second studio release (after the 13x platinum selling 'Ten') and was a pretty sick follow up. This was dropped in 1993 and is a very respectable 7x platinum. I'm not sure there are many bands in all of history that can say they sold 20 million albums in their first two drops - let alone in all their catalog. I'm clearly in the minority of PJ haters - but hey, sometimes it's good to be alone. There is NO question you need to listen to this if you haven't. The band itself is going to go down as one of the best ever when it's all said and done, and this album will probably be looked upon as their second best ever. Check it out. Let me know why I'm so dumb.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Go
2. Animal
3. Daughter
4. Glorified G
5. Dissident
6. W.M.A.
7. Blood
8. Rearviewmirror
9. Rats
10. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
11. Leash
12. Indifference

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
2. Dissident
3. Animal

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I am a fan of Pearl Jam, I bought Ten 3 times ha, First one was stolen from my car, second was scratched to all hell, So people like me helped Ten go 13x platinum.Third time, I got wise and bought it used though...I'm still catching up with that which is more recent but Eddie Vedder's voice just speaks to my soul, which is of course "right as rain" to my ears. Thinking about for some strange reason, when thinking of Eddie Vedder I always additionally think of Kurt Loder. That also goes for thinking of the first time I heard Kurt Cobain kicked it, Loder comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I remember that day very vividly too. Loder was so bummed, yet very professional at the same time. What a good dude.

    PJ just doesn't do it for me. Still can't figure out why. I do a great Vedder impression though...sometime you'll hear it.

    ReplyDelete