Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Kellie Pickler - Small Town Girl



Thursday means knee slappin', spoon strumming, washboard rakin' Country music. I think I mentioned before, I was out of "good" country suggestions - so JenInTosa gave me a big list of anything. Just bands, no albums. So on to Miss Pickler. Of course I've heard of her before, but certainly never heard anything by her. This album and all of her music and style is brand new to my ear. She made big headlines being a contestant on the fifth season of American Idol. Although she finished sixth - she still managed to get a record deal. I seem to recall her being a more emotional piece, since she had a rough childhood. My memory did end up serving me correctly, as she's got quite a story. Was born in North Carolina, mother left home when she was two. Father was in and out of jail, drug rehab etc etc. Her grandparents had custody for a while, mom came back for a couple years and left again - just bad news all around. A story like this makes you want to root for her. You know, if you're a softy - which I suppose I am. She worked at a Sonic Drive In, used the media circuit to try to get a reporter job or something of that nature - nothing really worked. Her Grandma passed of lung cancer in 2002 and she stayed to take care of her grandfather with her little brother. Her mom ended up being a criminal too, for writing bad checks. Crazy. She's persevered through all of that to become successful in her own right, and now being engaged to one of her songwriters. Good for her. Unfortunately for her, this is a music blog. Not a who I root for blog. And her music is bad. I've tried to come up with something positive to say about her - and I really can't. Other than I'll continue to root for her, as she's been through a ton. Just keep your head up, and start putting more heart into your music.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Red High Heels
2. Gotta Keep Moving
3. Things That Never Cross a Man's Mind
4. Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You
5. I Wonder
6. Small Town Girl
7. Wild Ponies
8. Girls Like Me
9. I'm on My Way
10. One of the Guys
11. My Angel

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. I Wonder
2. Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You
3. Small Town Girl

FINAL RATING:
2.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment