Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

BNL - Barenaked For The Holidays



Another wonderful JenInTosa suggestion comes in the form of BNL. To show you how not with the times I am on holiday albums, I had no idea this existed. If there is one band I feel I'd enjoy this type of novelty from, it'd be these guys. They seem to have the right frame of mind for it. And don't ask what I mean by that - because I have no follow up. It's just something that I typed out and makes sense to me. Anyhow, I'm going through this for the second time now. Starting with the first track, it's not totally what I expected. Jingle Bells starts off very methodical, and slow. A very different adaptation from anything I've heard before. I guess I was kind of expecting a 'If I Had 1,000,000 Dollars' comical rendition of most of the classics. It really isn't that at all. It's still a BNL jam band style rendition - but not totally what I was thinking I'd vibe on. Which is 100% fine - because this is really good too. I was certainly not expecting a cameo by Michael Buble. Those two acts couldn't be much more different....other than the fact they're both Canadian. Maybe that was it. Again, I don't want to judge any of these albums by looking up facts - but it seems they created their own collection of holiday songs too. 'Snowman' was the first I really noticed and thought, "Huh, this has to be original!" And I like it. Seems they have a few tracks that are new on this album. Kinda neat by comparison. I believe if you're a holiday nut (and this one is truly holiday, they have a couple Hanukkah tracks) you'll enjoy it. Maybe not amazing, but it's fun. And that's what Christmas is about.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Jingle Bells
2. Green Christmas
3. I Saw Three Ships
4. Hanukkah Blessings
5. O Holy Night
6. Elf's Lament
7. Snowman
8. Do They Know It's Christmas?
9. Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah
10. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings
11. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
12. Carol of the Bells
13. Footprints
14. Deck the Stills
15. Christmastime (Oh Yeah)
16. Sleigh Ride
17. Christmas Pics
18. I Have a Little Dreidel
19. Wonderful Christmastime
20. Auld Lang Syne

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer (it reminds me of a rendition I'd hear at the ballpark)
2. Snowman
3. Deck The Stills (funny the first time I heard it)

FINAL RATING:
3.25 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I don't think this album has the version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings with Sarah McLachlan. It's worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to check that out sometime! I do enjoy some BNL!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't heard anything from this album, but the god rest ye merry gentlemen/we three kings with sarah mclachlan is probably one of the best christmas songs ever. it's done so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did enjoy that one. It was a great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete