Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Friday, June 24, 2011

B Side Presents, "Friday Gut Check - Freeway Delights"



It's been forever, literally - since I did a Gut Check for you guys. So since I'm taking a trip this weekend with my buddies to my cottage on the lake, I figured - why not?

I enjoy driving, and I enjoy listening to music (duh) while driving. Before I got a car equipped with Microsoft Sync (where it allows me to just push a button and request a song, artist, album or playlist), I used to queue up on On-The-Go playlist on my iPod and just let it run. There were always a few solid stand-by's. Songs that no matter what mood I was in, could really rock the heck out of my road trip. I typically enjoy upbeat songs, and songs I can sing along to. My favorite thing while driving with others is surprising them with the playlist, and then seeing their reaction to the songs. I promise you, there is no better feeling then the next track coming on and everyone in the car praising you for the awesome selection. Try it sometime.

Anyhow, here are my personal five favorite roadie songs. And mind you, I'm doing this off the top of my head, so I'm sure I'll miss one or two. So post yours!

5. Crackerman - STP: Roamin' Roamin' Roam! Get away, I gotta get away. YES! I enjoy a lot of STP's songs, but for road trips? I think Crackerman takes the cake. It's fast paced, singable and just all around awesome. If it was good enough for STP to open with at their concert, it's good enough for me to open with on a road trip.

4. N 2 Gether Now - Limp Bizkit: Seriously, is there a better crossover collaboration that this? I mean, come on. Durst does a nice job adapting to Method Man's environment, and Method Man just blows this song up. Everyone and the car can sing along. What's that I didn't hear you? Come on a little louder...every body N2 gether now...huh? what? Awesome.

3. Sofi Needs A Ladder - Deadmau5: I guess I normally wouldn't have thought this to be an awesome road trip song, but on my way out to CO a few months back, the guy that shared driving duties with me never heard this one before, and kept playing it over and over. Crazy part? I never got sick of it! It's fairly long, but the pace of the track is always up tempo and the beat mixes up every so often. Great song to exercise to as well.

2. Intergalactic - Beastie Boys: For some reason, I know every single word to this song, and I sing along every time I hear it. It's not even a choice - something in the song subliminally must make me do it. I'll literally stop a conversation in the car and start busting out this track. By no means an amazing song, but it's upbeat and just overall fun. Well worth the 3 minutes of car time.

1. Rock The House - Gorillaz: Yeah, the G-Men. This is one of those applaud out loud from the car tracks. This comes on and the funky horns kick on and the rap parts kick up and everyone just wants to groove and sing along. Funny, probably not my favorite song off the album, but driving? A-mazing. Highly recommend you shoot this one on the playlist next time you're driving any sort of distance.

That's what I got! I think next week I'll post a Grooveshark playlist of exactly what I played on the trip. Then you guys get a little taste of how I roll when I'm rockin' down the highway.

2 comments:

  1. I love singing along while driving... even with others in the car. I think it's because the sound of the road muffles even the most tone-deaf singers (like my sister - whom most of my roads trips are taken with. So most of my songs are the ones I remember singing aloud with her either to/from SNC or to/from Michigan).
    4. Earl - Dixie Chicks
    3. The Spectrum Song - Prof. Ludwig von Drake (Disney)
    2. I want you to - Weezer (recent addition)
    1. These are my people - Rodney Atkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I consider myself to be a poor/slightly above poor singer, but I still belt out with the best of 'em.

    Girl - if you're wonderin' if I want you too, I want you too - nice addition. I haven't listened to Ratitude for quite a while. Maybe I'll toss that in today.

    I think the only other song I'm familiar with is Atkins, only because of Corey Hart of course.

    ReplyDelete