Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Beyonce - 4



New Music Tuesday is in full swing today. There were actually quite a few solid records to choose from, but I figured I'd run with the queen of pop - Beyonce. I don't think at this point I need to introduce anyone to her. She's been around forever, forever ever, forever ever. (shameless Outkast plug). Anyways, from DC to solo stuff to acting and everything else, she's considered one of the most multi talented females in the industry today. And while I've personally never been a huge fan of her music, I could see why others would. Interesting tidbit about this release, in February 2011 it was made known that the project was near completion. Knowles recorded seventy-two tracks for 4, which overwhelmed Columbia Records staff who had to sort through the content and choose what was included on the album. That's a sick amount of music recorded for one record. She states this album was made based on the influence of several other artists, including: Fela Kuti, The Stylistics, Lauryn Hill, Stevie Wonder, and Michael Jackson. The lead single, 'Run The World' peaked nicely on the Billboard charts. I'm really up in the air on this record so far. As I'm typing this very line, I'm on track 3 the second time around. And the album top to bottom is so different. There are some nice ballad tracks, and then a few really uptempo and powerful almost soul type tracks. There isn't a ton of pop here - which is a surprise. 'Run The World' might be the only "pop" track, and it's very danc-y. Seems pop artists are taking note, and hitting the dance circuit really hard. Anyways, I'm going to off initial impression say this is good - not great. Above average. I won't question her work ethic, vocal and her drive to succeed and put out new, quality records for fans. I'm just not 100% sure if this is the best of the 72 songs yet. Depends on how the album was set to be shaped, and it's pretty different from Beyonce's typical work.

TRACK LISTING:
1. 1 + 1
2. I Care
3. I Miss You
4. Best Thing I Never Had
5. Party
6. Rather Die Young
7. Start Over
8. Love on Top
9. Countdown
10. End of Time
11. I Was Here
12. Run the World (Girls)

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Start Over
2. I Care
3. I Was Here

FINAL RATING:
3.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment