Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bon Iver - Self Titled



I really need to cleanse my palette after that hot mess that was LMFAO. Yikes. Anyways, Bon Iver. I've known about the band for quite a while now - only because of the collaborations with hip hop artists. But I've heard quite a few people talk about Bon Iver as though it's a person - when it's actually a band. I guess Justin Vernon would be the closest thing to the personification of the band, so I'll assume talking about Bon Iver as only one would be him. The cool part about these guys is their from my backyard, Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Okay, so geographically, not really my backyard, but my home state. So it's still cool. They've been making tuneage since 2006 - same as my previous review. They dropped their first record in 2008, and it was considered an amazing album, one of the best of the year. The album was recorded in a remodeled veterinarian clinic in Fall Creek, Wisconsin, which was bought by Vernon and his brother in 2008. It was converted into April Base Studios, built mainly over the defunct swimming pool attached to the clinic. Vernon's reason for recording in the location was that "[it's] been a wonderful freedom, working in a place we built. It's also only three miles from the house I grew up in, and just ten minutes from the bar where my parents met." Kind of a neat story. This has an indie mood type feel to it. It's definitely slower, so think that brand of music. It's not going to hype you up, but it may calm you down. Very peaceful music. I highly suggest this today. It's just another well done Bon Iver record.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Perth
2. Minnesota, WI
3. Holocene
4. Towers
5. Michicant
6. Hinnom, TX
7. Wash.
8. Calgary
9. Lisbon, OH
10. Beth/Rest

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Perth
2. Michicant
3. Holocene

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment