Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lenny Kravitz - 5



I have a strange one for you guys today. I'm guessing every single person who will read this will have heard of Lenny Kravitz and listened to many of his songs over the years on the radio or heck, even watching videos on MTV. But I bet zero of those subsequent people have ever bought a Kravitz record. Am I right? I honestly don't know anyone who owns a record by him. Is it because overall his albums are really bad? I recall listening to the album that had 'Are You Gonna Go My Way' on it back in the day, because it was one of few modern albums our public library had in stock. I recall thinking back then it was fairly bad. And now listening to this one once through - you have the sick anthem in 'Fly Away' that you hear. So you go to pick up the album and you're expecting the same type of face melting guitar pageantry. Problem is, you don't get that. Kravitz seems to mix up his albums so much, that instead of it either being a solid piece of rock history - or a mash up so splendid it makes you crave more (NERD, Gorillaz) - it just leaves the listener confused and unhappy. Okay, that could just be me - but still. The album dropped in 1998 and is 3x platinum in the states. He has a couple other platinum selling records, but this was the biggest. Which, understandable. 'American Woman' was also a pretty big hit as it was used in the Austin Powers films. But overall, the sound just isn't there. If you drop a 15 song album, I'll expect to enjoy more then 3 tracks. And I don't here. I wouldn't go as far as to say this music is bad, but it really doesn't matter what mood I'm in. The music just isn't appealing to me with exception of the couple songs. Maybe others feel differently about him...but I just don't see any value in buying his stuff. He's got another due out this August, so we'll see.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Live
2. Supersoulfighter
3. I Belong to You
4. Black Velveteen
5. If You Can't Say No
6. Thinking of You
7. Take Time
8. Fly Away
9. It's Your Life
10. Straight Cold Player
11. Little Girl's Eyes
12. You're My Flavor
13. Can We Find a Reason
14. American Woman (Bonus Track)
15. Without You (Bonus Track)

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Fly Away
2. American Woman
3. Can We Find A Reason

FINAL RATING:
2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment