Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Curren$y - Weekend At Burnies



Some time ago, I profiled this new up-and-comer rapper called Curren$y. His album 'Pilot Talk' came out, and I was convinced that he had "it". Whatever that it is. I'll reiterate a little bit. His name is Shante Franklin, and he was born in 1981 in New Orleans. He was signed as part of a group to Master P's No Limit label way back in 2002. He signed as a solo artist to Weezy's 'Cash Money' label back in 2004. While there, he established a fairly successful clothing line. That not being enough, he left in 2007 to to his own thing. He dropped a metric ton of mix tapes to generate some buzz. That finally paid off in 2010 when 'Pilot Talk' dropped. And that album was quite awesome. Since then, he's been nothing but incredibly busy. He dropped another album in 2010, and one in early 2011, this one came out yesterday and he has ANOTHER record due out later this year. Phew, that was a mouthful. I'll be honest and tell you guys I hadn't gotten to anything since the debut drop - but having 5 albums out in just under a year seems to be too much. The quality must be suffering right? Well, getting to this one today - I'm not sure it does. The beats are really solid. The flow and lyrics are what is going to make this guy a hit. (I'd call him a kid, but he's older than me) Arrangement wise, it's almost something that isn't out there. And I don't even know how to describe what he's doing. It sounds like 80's music meets rap meets 90's hip hop beats. That probably makes no sense, but give it a listen. I think you'll like it. I'm not sure I identify with any specific tracks, but the whole album is a fun listen.

TRACK LISTING:
1. #Jestgo
2. Still
3. She Don't Want a Man
4. One Life
5. You See It
6. Televised
7. This is the Life
8. On G's
9. Money Machine
10. What's What
11. JLC
12. Get Paid

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. She Don't Want A Man
2. #Jestgo
3. Still

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment