Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Relient K - Mmhmm



It continues to baffle me how I've done so many reviews in each genre and there are bands that at some point were really popular and cool, but I've never even gave a thought to review them. Goes to show you what was cool in 2004 may not be so amazing in 2011. Enter stage right Reliant K. I was flipping through iTunes today and they had some profile on them, so I figured why not? I've heard of these guys before - can't say I could have given you a single track, but that's neither here nor there. I see they have three gold selling records (including this one) so they at least had some selling power. The band formed in 1998 in Canton, Ohio while the members were juniors in high school. The name came over one of the guys Plymouth Reliant K car, with their name spelled intentionally wrong to eliminate any copyright infringement. What I didn't know, these guys consider themselves Christian punk or rock. When this record dropped in 2004, it seems it put them on the map since they really changed their sound. Apparently they were known more for pop culture referencing, silly tracks versus serious sound. This one was sort of an experiment for the band, but they wanted to solidify their status in the business. This was their first release under a major label and their last release with a founding member. I cannot comment on the befores and afters of this band - but this one is just okay. It's definitely slowed down and some tracks seem to be talking about deeper life occurrences. It could be miles better from their older stuff, but it's still mediocre in my world.

TRACK LISTING:
1. One I'm Waiting For, The
2. Be My Escape
3. High of '75
4. I So Hate Consequences
5. Only Thing Worse Than Beating a Dead Horse Is Betting on One, The
6. My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend
7. More Than Useless
8. Which to Bury, Us or the Hatchet
9. Let It All Out
10. Who I Am Hates Who I've Been
11. Maintain Consciousness
12. This Week the Trend
13. Life After Death & Taxes
14. When I Go Down

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Life After Death & Taxes
2. When I Go Down
3. Who I Am Hates Who I've Been

FINAL RATING:
2.25 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment