Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, June 6, 2011

Kittie - Spit



Getting back into today is harder than I thought. I don't think I'm quite ready to not be in vacation mode. It's amazing how certain times you're very much ready to come back and face reality, and sometimes you simply don't want the trip to end. I'm in the latter boat my friends. But music and blogging should ease that pain, so here we go onto follower janis!'s recommendation of Kittie. Everyone probably knows by now they're going to be a metal band, since that's janis's forte. These ladies formed in Canada in 1996. I've never crossed paths with them in my years of life, and probably never would have. Two of the band members met while doing some gymnastics for school. Kind of an odd place to form a band, but we'll run with it. One of the initial members left abruptly in 2001, and started her own band. In the current time, only one of the originals exist in the band. Everyone else left. They talk about why they chose Kittie for the band name, and it's a pretty interesting story. Here it is: When we were thinking of names to call the band before our first show, we had decided that we wanted something completely contradictory to what the band and the sound of the band was. I think we chose Kittie because we wanted something totally unexpected, something that sounded weak, so that when you heard the band for the first time, it would be a total shock. I think there were a few other pussy sounding names...Like Swan or Swansong (which is what I remember really wanting to call the band)...But Kittie was chosen, and the rest is history. Pretty cool. Anyways, this was their first studio recording, and it dropped in 1999. Listening to it today, it's actually surprisingly softer than what I was expecting. It's pretty vocal heavy, which is a good thing. I like this, and I'd recommend checking it out. Don't expect the world, but it might be a good bridge from poppy music to metal stuff.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Spit
2. Charlotte
3. Paperdoll
4. Suck
5. Do You Think I'm a Whore?
6. Brackish
7. Jonny
8. Trippin'
9. Raven
10. Get Off (You Can Eat a Dick)
11. Choke
12. Immortal

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Immortal
2. Paperdoll
3. Trippin'

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. this album and silverchair's frogstomp are both two of my favorite albums and both made by a bunch of teenagers. just saying. but then you have kittie's oracle - which is not so good... i just don't think anyone can cover pink floyd ever (you hear that, korn?) except for the foo's cover of 'have a cigar.' i will accept that one.

    my favorite is 'raven' on this one because it just has a bitchin' bass line. i think 'brackish' was the first single and on one of those mtv compliations and that's pretty good too. 'paperdoll' is one of the better ones. and 'charlotte' - love that one.

    and actually now that i have this album on again, i think some of the parts sound like they might have a sepultura influence. i think it's going to be a metal day after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty solid. I don't often have metal days, but if I do - this one will probably go on again.

    It's been a Mumford and Sons day so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited when this came out...the glory days of riot grrrl were dissapating, and these girls came along and shredded arse..the title track is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Aerialgrrrl with three R's. =)

    They could definitely whale. Would love to hear them come out with more music.

    ReplyDelete