Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bright Eyes - The People's Key



Seems like New Music Tuesday has been pretty slow lately. Not to say some of the new stuff I've been doing hasn't been good or anything, but there hasn't been any really big artists that have dropped recently. I think that's fairly typical with this time of year, but it just strikes me as an extra long dry spell. Anyhow, Bright Eyes. I don't know much about this band, so I'm learning as I go. They are based out of Omaha, Nebraska (home of the best breakfast I've ever had) and have been making music since 1995 or so. They've got a very indie style sound to them - which is super generic, I know. But it's got that indie rock/folk/lo-fi kind of sound to it. Pretty laid back and mellow - but not mood music. You know? They've got a ton of records out there - none of which seemed to have charted. That's probably not super strange since they're signed to 'Saddle Creek' records - whom I've never heard of before. Turns out it's the lead singers birthday today, and that's why they dropped this week. Well Happy Birthday to Conor Oberst. What do I have to say about this one? Hmm. Well, it's different. The sound isn't bad or intolerable, but there isn't anything about it that would make me want to put it on again. I enjoy the sound, there is a lot of piano and acoustics, but those couple songs don't make up for the mediocre whole. It's worth checking out if you want to pick up some new and different music - just don't expect great things.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Firewall
2. Shell Games
3. Jejune Stars
4. Approximate Sunlight
5. Haile Selassie
6. A Machine Spiritual (In the People's Key)
7. Triple Spiral
8. Beginner's Mind
9. Ladder Song
10. One For You, One For Me

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Ladder Song
2. Approximate Sunlight
3. A Machine Spiritual

FINAL RATING:
2.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment