Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Low Anthem - Smart Flesh



The super slow trend of New Music Tuesday continues. What happened to artists putting out new stuff? It's like everyone just stopped making music except small independents. Don't get me wrong, that's not always a bad thing - as it's allowed me to hop on the wagon of some really cool smaller artists. Still - a big time drop would be nice one of these days. Anyways, on to Low Anthem. How many bands do you know that hail from Providence, Rhode Island? Well, I can now say I know of one for sure. These guys have been making music since 2006 where they met at the prestigious Brown University. Two of the members met while DJing for a local radio station there, and then became friends and played for a wood bat baseball team in Providence. This album happens to be their third studio release - not having heard either of the first two. The second one is cleverly titled, "Oh My God, Charles Darwin." If you don't get why that's ironic, let me know. This album also has some irony for me - as it was mixed by the lead of Bright Eyes - who was my new music Tuesday entry last week. While those guys didn't get my greatest review ever - this band is going to be a bit of a 180. I really like what I'm hearing. It's a very indie rock feel - with great lyrics. I mean, sitting back and listening to what they're saying, some tracks are really engaging. The male lead's voice is also very captivating. You listen to a track like 'Burn' and that low-fi sound is just - well, I don't have a word. It's just nice. It's got an American Mumford and Sons feel to it - but slowed down and with some banjo in spots. I'm going to HIGHLY recommend this today. I'm going to run through it at least 5 or 6 more times today. It's 7 bucks at Best Buy - and I might spend my hard earned money on it today. We shall see.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Ghost Woman Blues
2. Apothecary Love
3. Boeing 737
4. Love and Altar
5. Matter of Time
6. Wire
7. Burn
8. Hey, All You Hippies!
9. I'll Take Out Your Ashes
10. Golden Cattle
11. Smart Flesh

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Ghost Woman Blues
2. Burn
3. Golden Cattle

FINAL RATING:
3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment