Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Filter - Short Bus



All the pretty chicks with the crimson lips go Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks! Oh, sorry. That's what entered in my mind as I'm reading Filter here is from Cleveland, Ohio. Sometimes when something shiny crosses my path I tend to....well - regardless. Since Filter started making music in 1993, they get lumped into the alternative revolution. And for the most part, they're right but look how they all got strong. Ha, see what I did there? If you don't, let me know. I think this album is a pretty good example of how they fit into the alt rock category, mainly just because of what else was out there. They probably would be considered more metal by today's standards - but if you sit back and listen to this, it's not all that different from a heavy Soundgarden or Alice in Chains album. And those two bands are for sure alt rock. And since we're talking alternative, Nirvana could have inspired this album. I think we all know 'Hey Man, Nice Shot' was the moneymaker from this record - and it's thought that Cobain's death may have been the inspiration for writing the track. The band refutes this, but then again - how can you say yes, and basically admit you capitalized on the death of something. Others have done it, but it's still semi bad form. This album dropped in 1995 and is certified platinum. Not too bad since it really only saw one major single. Since the lead used to tour with NIN, it's got a little bit of that feel to it - but maybe less dark? Not sure that's the word I'm looking for. It's certainly more 'pop' than NIN, but still good in that same sort of way. This album as a whole won't blow your mind, but nothing by Filter really will. They keep making music, and I'll keep listening. They've been grandfathered into my iPod from my youth. Consider yourself lucky Filter. Check it out, if nothing else flip back to 'Nice Shot' and get a taste of 1995 again.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Hey Man, Nice Shot
2. Dose
3. Under
4. Spent
5. Take Another
6. Stuck in Here
7. It's Over
8. Gerbil
9. White Like That
10. Consider This
11. So Cool

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Hey Man Nice Shot
2. Gerbil
3. Stuck In Here

FINAL RATING:
3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment