Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Joe Diffie - Honky Tonk Attitude



In what seems like 5 years ago, I profiled a Joe Diffie song as my Song of the Moment. That track was a song from a deleted scene from 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' that I have been unable to locate on any album or even just a random single out there. I hate when that happens. It's like Nirvana's cover of 'Verse Chorus Verse' that only exists on the old 'No Alternative' album from the 90's. Put it somewhere else! Anyhow, haypeterman asked that I get to this work from Diffie. Peterman knows me well enough to know that I'm not huge into country - and this is as bluegrassy and twangy as it seems to get. And what's with that album cover? Jeez. This dropped in 1993 not 1983. Anyways, Diffie was born in 1958 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He worked as a foundry man and made a good living doing so. He was a musician on the side - and even built his own studio to record and let other artists record. When the foundry closed, he filed for bankruptcy, left his wife and his two kids, and went into a deep state of depression. Which let's face it, being country means you had to go through some sort of strife. You can't sing with passion without it. Diffie still makes music and throws out an occasional tour to this day. He's now also known for his charity work - mainly with special needs children. As for this album...hmm, I've listened to it twice since yesterday and nothing really sticks out for me. It's a fairly popular 1x platinum, and supposedly has three hit singles off of it - but again, nothing is making me sing along or sing after the cd ends. Certainly isn't "bad", so give it a shot. Maybe you'll really enjoy it.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Honky Tonk Attitude
2. I'm Not Through Losin' You
3. Prop Me up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die)
4. If I Had Any Pride Left at All
5. I Can Walk the Line (If It Ain't Too Straight)
6. Somewhere Under the Rainbow
7. John Deere Green
8. In My Own Backyard
9. Here Comes That Train
10. And That Was the Easy Part
11. Cold Budweiser and a Sweet 'Tater

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. In My Own Backyard
2. Honky Tonk Attitude
3. And That Was The Easy Part

FINAL RATING:
2.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment