Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Armin Van Buuren - Mirage



After a very brief one week hiatus, Techno Tuesday strikes back with a vengeance! Mr. Van Buuren spells his name with an extra 'u', which I forget every time I type it out. So we're going to call him Armin going forward. It's just easier that way. Regardless, he's from the Netherlands and this is one of VERY few DJ's to use their actual given birth name. You never see that. He was born in 1976 and started laying down sick beats around 1995 or so. He started off small like nearly all artists, playing local clubs for hours at end. It's not rare for an up-and-comer spinner to put a nice long show on for a big club, but he talks about having played at schools for 7 or 8 hours at a time. I can't imagine for what...as even the longest school dances are maybe 3 hours or so. Of course, I've never been to the Netherlands, so maybe they do things a whole lot differently over there. This is his fourth studio release, having came out in 2010. None of them charted here in the USA, but this one seems to be getting the most popular spins on European radio. This album has gotten slaughtered by critics...with a fairly prominent review site calling it a sell out album, and that this new dance-pop genre is hideous. I guess I don't know the big difference between this and his other work, so I can't really comment. This does feel a little poppy, but that's not always bad in the dance context. I like this, don't love it...but I enjoyed it this morning. I'd say this is a medium recommend.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Desiderium
2. Mirage
3. This Light Between Us
4. Not Giving Up on Love
5. I Don't Own You
6. Full FocusListen
7. Take a Moment
8. Feels So Good
9. Virtual Friend
10. Drowning
11. Down to Love
12. Coming Home
13. These Silent Hearts
14. Orbion
15. Minack
16. Youtopia

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. This Light Between Us
2. Mirage
3. Desiderium 207

FINAL RATING:
2.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment