Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Monday, March 7, 2011

Glasvegas - Self Titled



There has been a little of a European/foreign theme lately on the B Side. We looked at Dropkick Murphys last week and I talked about how I like their sound. We've done some other cool out of country stuff the last month or two, all of it has been pretty solid to listen to. So now, Shaqwanda asked that I look at Scottish band Glasvegas. When I saw this in the Suggestion Box, I'm 99% certain that I'd never heard of them before. Looking them up in detail this morning, I'm now 100% sure. And when you see foreign bands come up, it's very hard to know what style of music they're going to bring to the table. I was very surprised how easy to identify this one is. It's straight up rock. Good old fashioned American....err...Scottish rock n' roll. There are a couple songs that institute the piano and just a spoken lyric, which is pretty awesome too. This was their first studio drop, and they now have three out with one having come out earlier in 2011. This one dropped in 2008 and has seen very good successes throughout the entire continent of Europe. Some critics have gone as far as to say they are the best band in Europe during the last decade and they should be synonymous with music from across the pond. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to go that far, but I do really enjoy this album. American critics have been a bit more harsh on this record, only giving it a base rating of 3 of 5 stars. I think it's better than that. Much better. It was a really easy and fun listen this morning, even though I was in a mood mode. That's always telling. Check it out, I think between the two album I looked at today, you'll find at least one you'll want to buy.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Flowers & Football Tops
2. Geraldine
3. It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry
4. Lonesome Swan
5. Go Square Go
6. Polmont on My Mind
7. Daddy's Gone
8. Stabbed
9. S.A.D. Light
10. Ice Cream Van
11. Prettiest Thing on Saltcoats Beach, The
12. Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. The Prettiest Thing On Saltcoats Beach
2. Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime
3. Stabbed

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment