Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Jethro Tull - Aqualung



My classic reviews are so random. I seem to so often forget about some of the greatest bands of all time and end up doing something weird from the eighties. I'm not suggesting that Jethro here is in fact one of the best bands ever, but they're pretty solid. If you've gone this far in your life (even if you're reading this at 5 years old) without hearing the track 'Aqualung', you're really missing out. It's just a great song. They formed in 1967 in Britain - and are known for their signature flautist - which I'm only 99% sure I'm spelling correctly. This is one of few bands that was very successful at "painting" a song picture for you. They started as more of a blues based group - but then they rolled into the art rock genre, people really responded. How much so you ask? Well, they've sold over SIXTY MILLION albums worldwide. Not too shabby right? This album is a slick 3x platinum in the states, and rightfully so. Maybe should even have sold a few more copies than that. It's hard to find anything I really dislike about this record. I mean, from an instrument standpoint - it's got every sort of sound you could possibly want. With certain songs creating a crescendo by getting all of them involved. There are a couple big hits on this album, but the whole thing is really solid. It's got all the accolades, earning a spot in Rolling Stones Top 500 of all time. For the most part, all critics have been super positive for it as well. I'm not going to buck that trend. It's really good. It's a fun listen and the music is different - especially given the time. Dropping in 1971 - there wasn't a lot of this type of music going on. Zeppelin only dabbled in it and Floyd was a different style. But that's about it. I don't own this, but I need to. Maybe I'll run out and buy it today.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Aqualung
2. Cross-Eyed Mary
3. Cheap Day Return
4. Mother Goose
5. Wond'ring Aloud
6. Up to Me
7. My God
8. Hymn 43
9. Slipstream
10. Locomotive Breath
11. Wind-Up
12. Lick Your Fingers Clean
13. Wind-Up (Quad Version)
14. Excerpts From the Ian Anderson Interview

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. Aqualung
2. Locomotive Breath
3. Hymn 43

FINAL RATING:
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment