Song of the Moment

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Frightened Rabbit - The Winter Of Mixed Drinks



Hump day is back, and I'm tired. I exhausted myself digging through all that new music yesterday. Hopefully you guys dove head first into some of that good stuff as well. This review has been long overdue, as follower Shaqwanda requested I listen to this almost when the blog began. I reviewed a different FR album - not sure if that was in error or what - but it's an 'odd' review day and this certainly fits that mold. This album released in 2010 and made it as high as #84 on the US charts. Doesn't look like it reached any sort of gold status - but that's not overly surprising. For a Scottish indie rock band to sell hundreds of thousands of copies in the US, they'd have to have a couple really big singles. I really enjoyed their last album, so I'm going into this one with an open mind and high hopes. I've been jamming a TON to Mumford & Sons lately and they come out with that sort of track. Mumford is pretty folk rockish with really nice Irish beats and instruments. FR is probably lumped into that same folk rock category, but this album doesn't have the sheer high energy of M&S. This particular album is a little more laid back, which certainly isn't a bad thing. I tried to really sit back and listen to the lyrics on this one, which I commonly do with folk bands. And it feels like this album is a statement that they'll overcome past life events. That no matter what has happened, the future is bright. This album is telling a story, and I always appreciate when bands go that route. I think this is a fun album in terms of listenability and simply good music. I can't imagine you'd be angry if you gave this a go today.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Things
2. Swim Until You Can't See Land
3. Loneliness and the Scream, The
4. Wrestle, The
5. Skip the Youth
6. Nothing Like You
7. Man/Bag of Sand
8. Footshooter
9. Not Miserable
10. Living in Colour
11. Yes, I Would

Listen To Samples

Top 3 Tracks:
1. The Wrestle
2. The Loneliness And The Scream
3. Living In Colour

FINAL RATING:
3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment